What is this revolver? s.n. 125

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
splashgtp

What is this revolver? s.n. 125

Post by splashgtp »

Was wondering if anyone could tell me about this revolver. It was obtained by my dad about 20 years ago from evidence he was in charge of destroying. Thanks in advance!

Here's what I know:

-Barrel appears to have been machined down at some time

-No manufacture or patent info

-44 cal 6 shot

-Barrel 8" and 6-1/2" from frame to end

-Cylinder pin only slides out so far

-serial 125 under left grip

-serial 125 bottom of barrel

-serial stamps look different

Jay Huber
Site Admin

Re: What is this revolver? s.n. 125

Post by Jay Huber »

I think it is a New Model Army made up from parts. It might be a lunch box special out of the factory? Jay Huber RSA
OldFotoMan

Post by OldFotoMan »

If you get any more info on this gun, please post it here, as I have the same gun (Ser# 286) posted as Please help identify this revolver.

From what I have been told they are reproductions or copies of the Remington design. I know mine has been in my family and unaltered since at least 1958, and believe for about 20 years before that also.

If I can find any more info, I'll be sure to let you know.

Nice to see that I'm not the only one with one of them. Now if we could just figure out what we really have!
OldFotoMan

Post by OldFotoMan »

After doing much research and checking, I believe what we both own are Very early Lyman reproductions.

From what info I've been able to obtain, Lyman started having these produced in 1945, and had had several different companies produce different models for them over the years. Different companies to produce different models, Beals, Old Model, and New Model; and changed them in different years.

If you Google Images for the Lyman 1858 Remington, use the advanced search to select the larger pictures, and see if they don't look exactly like what we have. Particularly the early Beals Model, although their reproductions had the newer style loading levers.

This would also fit pretty well with what I know and was told about mine, being given to my dad in 1958 and him remembering grandfather having it years before that. He could have had it 13 years before he gave it to dad.

Hope this helps.