Duleing Pistols

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
bschaupp

Duleing Pistols

Post by bschaupp »

Hey folks. I'm looking for some information on a set of guns I received from my grandfather who passed a few years ago, Tex Hill. They have serial numbers on them, and I know they are Remington. I have a year range, 1862 to 1875, but would love to know what year exactly they were made. I'm not sure what all is even possible, I'd like to know as much about theses as I can. Thanks in advance for letting me use your time and expertise.
Mike Strietbeck

Re: Duleing Pistols

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Post photo's of the guns, as well as description of the markings including serial numbers. If they are Remington, I'm sure you will get your information.

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
bschaupp

Post by bschaupp »

Here is a picture of the pistols. There are several markings on them and I'll try to describe where they came from the best I can.

Underneath the piece that folds down to pack the bullet are the longest numbers which I assume are serial numbers. They are 105686 (all of which are awkwardly spaced), and 99893 (these are tightly stamped with a space after them, then 17J stamped). The J after the 17 may not be a J at all, the top line of the J is long an sloped like a cursive lowercase J. This is stamped again upside down on the fattest part of the piece that folds down. On the other side of the same piece, but towards the tip, is stamped an R. Then there's a D stamped at the base of the barrel, and a W stamped on the side below the hammer. On the other side are two H's, one at the base of the barrel and one just in front of cylinder. The first pistol 105686 has single letters as well. Two D's are in the same places as the H's on the other gun, then P at the tip of the fold down piece (I can't wait to learn what this is called!), D at the base of the barrel, R in front of the cylinder, and H below the hammer.

On the base of the hilts there's a design or word stamped that I can't completely make out. Looks kind of like GYEL almost in bubble letter, but not sure. Could be a design.

Sorry this information is so broken, ignorant and amature...thanks for the help.
bschaupp

Post by bschaupp »

Pictures...
Attachments
pistol handle stamp.JPG
pistol handle stamp.JPG (226.51 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
pistols2.JPG
pistols2.JPG (114.45 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
Mike Strietbeck

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Without photographs, the best I can do is make an educated guess based on the serial numbers and the grip stamp (cartouche') "GYEL almost in bubble". With a cartouche (final acceptance mark) being present, we can assume that it was a civil war firearm, and serial numbers in the 95000 thru 110,000 range, we can assume that they are New Model Army (.44 Cal) revolvers. The barrel length should be 8". The single letter markings throughout the balance of the revolvers are in process inspectors marks. With that said, serial number 99893 would have left the Remington factory in Ilion, New York during September 1864 while serial number 1050686 sould have left during October 1864.
We have not located records to show where the firearms were issued during the Civil War so ownership history is not available.

If any of my assumptions are incorrect, all bets are off and we will have to start over with photographs.

Hope this helps,

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bschaupp wrote:keeps saying file too big for pic, will keep working on it.
email to remington@remingtonsociety.com - I'll cut and post.
bschaupp

Post by bschaupp »

Well, sounds like you know your guns. They are a far cry from dueling pistols...do you know how long our family has refered to them as such? Hilarious.