Please Help Identify This Revolver

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
OldFotoMan

Please Help Identify This Revolver

Post by OldFotoMan »

I need help identifying this revolver. It looks like the “1858” Remington design. Here is what I do know for sure about it. It was given to my father by my grandfather in 1958. Grandfather owned it for many years before that, but I have no idea where he got it. My grandfather was an avid collector. It looked very old and dirty when dad got it, and when I received it from him. I have cleaned it with solvent and WD40 just to get the grease, grime, and general crud off of it in order to try to find some kind of markings. The only markings I can find are the numbers shown in the photos I will insert. The grips seem to be ebony backed with ivory tops and I believe were hand made for this gun, as they do not look original. The measurements I have taken from it are as follows: barrel, 6 ¾” L - .68” wide – 6 lands, 6 grooves, equal width style, .44” bore; cylinder, 2”L – 1.6” D; top strap, .73”W – 1.51 from front to cylinder chamber; guard, 2.44”L – just over 1” H. Hopefully these will help in determining something. So far, researching many gun books written about these old guns has given me more questions than answers. It seems that there were 3 major models of this design, the Beals, the Old Model (of 1861), and the New Model (of 1863); and apparently there were several changes made within each of these models as improvements were continually being made to the design. It seems the most major and noticeable changes were within the New Model, including changes in the cylinder, hammer, and loading lever, and a 6 ½” barrel available on the civilian guns as opposed to the 8” standard for the military. It also seems that Remington, like Colt, had several factories in various locations producing their guns. There is evidence that their southern factories produced some with brass frames due to a lack of raw materials to make steel. So the more research I do, and the more I find out about them, the more questions I have and the less sure I am of just what I have. It would have been so much easier if I could find or read a name or address on the barrel. I could believe it was an original with a replacement or aftermarket barrel, except that the numbers on the bottom of the barrel match those under the grips. So far, the responses I’ve gotten from another website seem to think this or that looks somewhat wrong or different to them, but they don’t say just what model or variation within the model they are comparing it to. And to be fair, I see no difference comparing what they say to the pictures of some other known genuine Remingtons; so it may be that the angles in my photos are making things appear different. I just don’t know whether I have a genuine Remington, maybe with some replacement or even reproduction parts, or if it is a very early reproduction. I know Dad got it in 1958 and he said that grandfather had it for at least 20-25 years prior to that. Several local folks who are supposed to be knowledgeable have said it appears to be the old style metal and made by the old manufacturing methods used before the advent of the Bessimer steel making method that revolutionized steel production in the early 1860’s. (They advised me not to attempt to fire it.) Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, especially if it can be referenced to any particular model and variation within the models. Photos that may help may be viewed here: https://picasaweb.google.com/FredWright ... vb3TqcPHKA