BREVET REMINGTON .50 cal Rolling Block Pistol

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
stunguff

BREVET REMINGTON .50 cal Rolling Block Pistol

Post by stunguff »

1830aBelgRemRB50-L.jpg
1830aBelgRemRB50-L.jpg
I would be interested to know if anyone has information on Remington's licensing of pistols made in Belgium. I am aware that Nagant did receive permission to manufacture a 2-barrel RB pistol chambered for Nagant's 9mm round (this was known as the Nagant Gendarmerie - Genarmerie = Police), and it can be seen on the Belgian littlegun site: http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/ar ... 7%20gb.htm But my question has to do with the pistol shown here that has the BREVET REMINGTON mark on the left of the action. It also has the pre-1893 Liege proof on the right side of the barrel as well as the name of the Uruguayan Gun Shop, Broqua & Scholberg, on top of the barrel. Broqua & Scholberg was connected with the Scholberg & Gadet company of Liege, but I know of no RB pistols done by them under license from Remington. And the name on top of the barrel on many South American-sold pistols has to do with the local business that sold the gun rather than the manufacturer in Europe. This pistol has the general lines of the Remington 1867 Navy RB pistol, although the front stock is not as long. It is chambered for a .50 cal round. The barrel measures 6-3/4 inches, and its overall length is 11 inches. Would the Brevet Remington mark have been put on this gun just to sell it as a Remington? or would a gun with this mark indicate Remington's permission for the pistol to be made?
Last edited by stunguff on Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
stunguff

Re: BREVET REMINGTON .50 cal Rolling Block Pistol

Post by stunguff »

1830sBelgRemRB50-mkrem.jpg
1830sBelgRemRB50-mkrem.jpg (225.37 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
pretty sure I uploaded just one picture of the pistol, maybe I am seeing double. Anyway, here is the Remington mark up close.
Attachments
1830aBelgRemRB50-L.jpg
1830aBelgRemRB50-L.jpg (168.1 KiB) Viewed 1811 times