45 automatic smokeless powder box vintage?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
gregande

45 automatic smokeless powder box vintage?

Post by gregande »

Can anyone tell me the history and vintage of this old Remington 45 automatic box?

The box describes the cartridges as smokeless and oil less. The ammo was steel cased.

I hope the following link takes you to the pictures:

http://img4.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc08048w.jpg
Mike Strietbeck

Re: 45 automatic smokeless powder box vintage?

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Based on the information I have, this box should be vintage 1942-1944. Here is the complete information I have in my files.

Remington Arms Co. - Website
On May 15, 1934 Remington purchased the Peters Cartridge Company for $2.5 million. The Peters Cartridge Company operated an ammunition facility located in Kings Mill, Ohio.

Several years before World War II, the government asked Remington to collaborate on a plan for the expansion of ammunition production. The plan called for a number of new plants to be constructed by the government and to be contractor operated. The program was activated in the summer of 1940 when Remington was asked to recommend plant sites. With the aid of DuPont, a study was made covering 51 sites, and in September, Remington was asked to undertake the establishment and operation of the first plant, a second a few weeks later. These were the Lake City and Denver ordnance plants. In the spring of 1941, a third plant in Salt Lake City, Utah was assigned to Remington, and later a fourth, Kings Mills, and in the spring of 1942, a fifth, Lowell.

These plants belonged to the government; however, they were operated by Remington under fixed-fee contracts, whereby Remington was responsible for assuring the adequacy of a capacity through construction advice with respect to design engineering and construction, the procurement of equipment, training of personnel, and operation of the plants.

CartridgeColletors.org - website
Wartime Small Arms Ammo Producers of the USA
by Jim Frigiola

Kings Mills Ordnance Plant (PC)
Head stamp - P C 43 (Peters Cartridge Year)
Located in Kings Mills, OH this plant was operated by Remington Arms Co. under the Peters Cartridge Co. name and was supported by commercial facilities owned by Peters. This plant produced ammunition from 1942 to 1944. A very small quantity of caliber 45 ammunition was made initially but most production was caliber 30 carbine.

Best Regards,

Mike Strietbeck
RemShots
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
gregande

Re: 45 automatic smokeless powder box vintage?

Post by gregande »

Thank you Mike for your thorough response. That's exactly what I was looking for.