double 41

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
ravenh2001

double 41

Post by ravenh2001 »

I found a remington 41 rimfire in a fl attic cleaning out my aunts house. It is a umc L905xx. it has a gold plated barrel and nickel frame. Blued hammer, trigger and barrel lever. the gun is inscribed Uncles name to aunts name. the gun needs to be refinished. Because of the inscription it only has family value but I would like it to be original. does anyone Know if the made one with a gold plated barrel. thank you.
DavidFagan

Re: double 41

Post by DavidFagan »

Under the barrel by the locking lug there will be a date code stamp (letters) with this you can date it.
Could they have made a Gold barrel and Nickel frame, certainly possible if it was ordered that way but chances are probably thin and it was later inscribed and refinished. Where is it inscribed? If it was original I certainly would NOT refinish it you will destroy the real value other then the family value. Actually unless it's just butt ugly I'd be very tempted to not refinish it, yes it's wore and flaked or whatever but it's the original of how it was gifted, my 2 cents. VERY good photo's would be a huge plus they may show tell tale signs to know if it was refinished or not.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer