correct RB cleaning rod & bayonet

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
MSP Ret

correct RB cleaning rod & bayonet

Post by MSP Ret »

What is the best place to locate a cleaning rod for my 7mm Mexican Rolling Block rifle? Are there any reproduction rods manufactured or should I look for an original? What is the price range I might encounter? Would any other caliber cleaning rods fit? Thanks and Merry Christmas....<><.... :D

The above was posted in the post 1898 section with no responses or help, perhaps I posted it in the improper section so I am reposting it here as well as my follow-up post which is below. I would really appreciate any information you learned people have to assist the new RB fan, Thanks....<><.... :D

I believe I may have located the proper cleaning rod for my 7mm Rolling Block. It is priced at $50, I am very new to Rolling Blocks and am inquiring if anyone here has any idea about the prices of original cleaning rods? How does the $50 sound for a proper original rod? I have also located and purchased what I believe to be the proper short bayonet for this gun with the Remington Arms inscription in the blood groove, it comes with the scabbard(sheath) and frog and I paid $110.00 for it. Does that sound like a reasonable price. The gun is now complete and I am planning on loading up some lubed gas checked 139 grain round nose lead bullets which are sized to .285. I have loaded some light loads with 11.0 grains of PB which should give me about 1500 fps and will first try the gun with those loads for accuracy, POI, and function. I hope to try this gun deer hunting next year if the proper situation presents itself. What do you members think of this load? I know I have posted several questions here and thanks for any and all replies (I hope).....Merry Christmas to All!!!....<><.... :D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
MSP Ret

Post by MSP Ret »

Thanks for all the help guys, it's nice to see those here reach out to help a new guy :( .....I still wish you all a Merry Christmas....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
wk4036

Post by wk4036 »

Msp,
Please don't take the lack of responce to heart as this site is the slowest going of all the sites I frequent.
wk
S&WCA Member #1558
NRA Member
MSP Ret

Post by MSP Ret »

Thnaks for the much appreciated reply wk4036, It's good to know that. I was beginning to think I was alone here. I missed getting the cleaning/wiping rod but have obtained a schematic for what I believe to be the proper rod. After the holidays I will make one up to specs from a piece of brazing rod or brass rod. It may not be original but it should be easier on the barrel than the original steel rod. Truth be told it will most likely be for looks anyway. I will still be on the lookout for the proper original rod, I wish I had been able to get the last one...again, Thanks for the Reply and Merry Christmas to you and all here....<><.... :D