Remington-Hayburn Rifle

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Sampbil

Remington-Hayburn Rifle

Post by Sampbil »

I have purchased a Remington-Hayburn Rifle in the #3 Military configuration.
The top of the gun is marked "MODELO ARGENTINO 1879 E.N.". The gun is in outstanding mechanical and physical condition with a clean bore. There is very little original finish on the gun and it may be a canidate for restoration. I appears to be a 44 cal., but I have not slugged the gun yet to determine the exact caliber.
My main question is that there is no serial number present on the gun anywhere I can find. Beacuse it is in the musket design the numbers may be under the fore end, but I would rather not take it appart at this time. Is it unusual for these guns to be without a serial number or any additional markings?
Bill Sample (bfsample@windstream.net)
Sampbil

Re: REGISTRATION - PLEASE READ

Post by Sampbil »

Sorry, I am new at this and not overly digitally gifted. How do I get a reply to my question if I do not include my emil?
Mike Strietbeck

Re: Remington-Hayburn Rifle

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Bill,

When someone reads your posting, and has knowledge about the subject, they will type in their response and you can read it at that time.
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
tjack

Re: Remington-Hayburn Rifle

Post by tjack »

If your rifle is the Argentine Model it is the No 1 Model Rolling Block. The Hepburn was an entirely different action. Your rifle was originally chambered for the 11mm Spanish (.43 Spanish) cartridge. The black powder No 1 rifles were not serial numbered. If you remove the butt stock you will find #'s on the left sides of both tangs but these were assembly #'s only. These rifles were frequently refinished either by the importer or the Argentines. Originally, the receiver of the rifle would be color case hardened. If refinished, it would be blued but may take on a very mottled appearance. They are generally in very nice condition with near perfect bores. They make great shooters. All components for reloading are readily available. But remember, this is a black powder action so keep loads mild.