Chamber Pressure of a #1 rooling block????????

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
beng

Chamber Pressure of a #1 rooling block????????

Post by beng »

I have a remington rooling block #1. It has NO markings at all on the receiver, it looks like someone did a lot of buffing on it, it's like chrome. (but looks good) We know it's a rotary extractor #1 and that is all. It was looked at by a gunsmith, and he said it's in very good condition and it looks like a military receiver. (large) We put a 34" Green Mountain, 1-18 twist, heavy octagon barrel, Treebone stock with creedmoor sights. It looks VERY good. BUT, I was told to keep the pressure down, (trapdoor) I am using a 490 postel by Brooks. and I use 29gr of 4198 at 1200 to 1250 fps. Our range only goes to 300 yards. To me, it's like a light load (powder) Can I take it up in pressure if I wanted to go, "long range" or just keep it at 1200fps? Thanks beng
charlielima

Re: Chamber Pressure of a #1 rooling block????????

Post by charlielima »

I'm surprised that someone has not replied by now.
1- it is a black powder action. high pressure smokeless loads will turn your rifle into a handgrenade.
2 see black powder comment. why not use the powder it was originally intended for?? there ae folks repeatedly shooting @ 1000 yds (or more) that do just fine with black powder. In fact there were lots of folks doing quite well with your rifle & black powder over 100 years ago.
Just an opinion from a fng. :)
CL
"It is better to die a free man, weapon in hand, than to live life as a coward and a slave"
unknown
beng

Post by beng »

If I keep it down to Trapdoor pressures in 4198 powder, will it be OK? beng
tjack

Post by tjack »

Assuming that your receiver, hammer, block and pins are sound you should have no problems using 4198 at Trapdoor loadings. I used IMR 4198 for years in black powder ctgs until I discovered AA 5744. 5744 is not position sensitive in the case so no fillers are needed.