Date of manufacture for a Rolling Bloc Sporter No. 1 45-70?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Uechi

Date of manufacture for a Rolling Bloc Sporter No. 1 45-70?

Post by Uechi »

I have a Rolling Block Sporter No.1 in 45-70 caliber with matching serial numbers and a set trigger appropriately marked on the barrell and the receiver with " ST" The serial number is 85XX. Any idea of a date of maufacture? Appreciate inputs.Thanks
roundtop

Re: Date of manufacture for a Rolling Bloc Sporter No. 1 45-

Post by roundtop »

My notes tell me possibly late 1879 but probably 1880. Ed
Uechi

Post by Uechi »

Thanks Roundtop.I'll be interested in what others think. The total Rolling Block Sporters No.1 manufactured is suppose to be around 12,500 plus or minus. Most of these Rolling Blocks where supposedly manufactured up until 1886 when Remington went into receivership. During the remaing three years till 1889 supposedly the rifles were made with left over parts. This according to Marcot's book. Nobody knows what the average production rate was for the No.1's but based on a possible average of 1,500 a year. I came up with 1878 to 1879 as a possibilty.
roundtop

Post by roundtop »

I have in my files an original Remington flyer announcing the new offhand rifle to be shipped starting in November, 1879. These were to be in 38-50 and 40-65 calibers. These are very distinctive rifles. This is the first time I know of that Remington announced these calibers. Most people think they originated in the Hepburn but it is not so. The original rifles that Roy Marcot and I found that match this started with ser no. 8200. To date no completely original rifles have been found under this number but there may be. The ones found are parts guns that have been put together. The barrels examined were over 8200. This is how I came up with the dates. We have no actual records so we have to go with what clues we can find. Every thing we know about the rolling blocks is an educated guesstimate at best. Ed
Uechi

Post by Uechi »

Looks like 1879 or 1880 is a good guess on my 45-70. This was still early enough to have been a buffalo gun. The rifle is far from being beat up. Who ever owned it took care of it but it has definelty been fired alot. .Dark barrel and some pitting but far from a sewer pipe. Most of the blue has a rust patina and of course the receiver has no case colors. Wood is in great shape and fits perfectly. The set trigger works fine after I cleaned it and lubed it.Only time I have seen a Rolling Block with "ST' marked on the barrel as well as the receiver.
roundtop

Post by roundtop »

ST on the receiver is uncommon. Mine has it under the small side plate that holds the 2 pins in place. These are the only 2 that have shown up so far with actions marked this way. Where is your ST on the receiver?
Uechi

Post by Uechi »

Roundtop. the " ST' on the receiver is closer to the front breech block pin hole on the receiver body and would be covered by the receiver button when assembled.