7mm rolling block identify

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Caloren

7mm rolling block identify

Post by Caloren »

Trying to identify a 7x57 rolling block that has had some markings ground away. Will try to upload some photo's.
Right side of action a crown over a C.
Left side has H.A. [the top of a letter J or I?] then a space and the top of the letters 'W N'
below this is a '5' and grind marks.
Left side of the block and hammer has grind marks with most of the numerals '754' just above the hammer shoulder.
Under side has some grind marks with a "crown St.m.G." , and on the other side of the grinding a crown over B crown, over U, 7mm, 57, 734.
Attachments
DSC09596 - Copy.JPG
DSC09596 - Copy.JPG (16.59 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
Left side
Left side
DSC09591 - Copy.JPG (28.87 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
Right side
Right side
DSC09590 - Copy.JPG (31 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
Caloren

Re: 7mm rolling block identify

Post by Caloren »

I have found a post on this site from 2009 about a no. 1 action that has some of these marks. Confirmed a suspicion about the crown over C that it was Swedish. Maybe the serial number and other identifying marks were ground off when sold as surplus? Certainly wasn't done by anyone that cared about the rifle! When I got it [about 25 years ago] it had a peep receiver sight modified to fit the action and a ramped front sight base with a globe sight; a bulky fore grip and a Fajen high roll over comb butt stock made for a scoped rifle, almost impossible to use the sights with. Looks like mid fifties styling! Ugly rifle, but it does shoot good!
Loren
tjack

Post by tjack »

Your rifle is an anomaly! I have one similar to yours. Mine has a Swedish M1867/89 receiver and butt stock with a Remington barrel and forearm. The barrel carries German proofs. The barrel is chambered for the 7mm Mauser cartridge. Most of those seen are missing the breechblock as is mine. If yours is complete with breechblock and hammer you are fortunate. I've thought of buying a junker Swede m67/89 just for the breechblock and extractor but the parts would have to be reverse-engineered to fit. There is speculation that these were used by Paraguay against Bolivia in the Gran Chaco War of 1932-1935. George Layman, in his "The Military Remington Rolling Block Rifle" states that Bill Wescombe of Calif. bought 235 of these from Golden State Arms Co around 1957. There is also speculation that these were made up by the Mexican Govt in the early 1900's. Can't explain the German proofs! I envy you being able to shoot yours!!!
JV Puleo

Post by JV Puleo »

Its a Mexican conversion of a Swedish action... the work was done in Germany for the Mexican govt.. Its a long and complicated story, but confirmation of this only came after we published Geo. Layman's RB book.

Joe Puleo
Caloren

Post by Caloren »

Thank you Joe, guess that's why I didn't read about it in Laymans book. Maybe in the second edition?
Loren
JV Puleo

Post by JV Puleo »

That is one of the pitfalls of writing a book. Invariably, the book itself draws out information you didn't even know existed. In this case, Geo. was contacted by a retired Mexican Ordnance officer who sent him a copy of a report on the program these rifles were produced under.
THBailey

Post by THBailey »

JV Puleo wrote:That is one of the pitfalls of writing a book. Invariably, the book itself draws out information you didn't even know existed. In this case, Geo. was contacted by a retired Mexican Ordnance officer who sent him a copy of a report on the program these rifles were produced under.
I also have one of these rifles and would like to find out a little more about them. What does a guy have to do to get a copy of the report?
Attachments
smaller (3).JPG
smaller (3).JPG (98.78 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
smaller (1).JPG
smaller (1).JPG (63.65 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
smaller (2).JPG
smaller (2).JPG (89.04 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
THBailey

Post by THBailey »

One more photo showing the welded over identification symbols.
Attachments
smaller (4).JPG
smaller (4).JPG (65.88 KiB) Viewed 6505 times