Remington's and Spencer

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
toddsmith

Remington's and Spencer

Post by toddsmith »

Hi group!

Had a research question. We are researching what's called the "Battle of Blanco Canyon" from Oct 10, 1871 in which the 4th US Cavalry skirmished with Comanches near my home.

The field has turned up several casings that fit the battle description and most of them are what most refer to as Spencer (56-50) casings- but I think they are probably 56-52. Anyhow, they get referred to as "Spencers" mostly. I obtained the 1871 Ordnance Reports for the 4th Cav and noticed that the ammunition supplied for the 4th lists Spencers and Remingtons together:

You can see where it says : Spencer's Rim Primed
Remington Metallic
Cartridges Cal.50

The report also places the Springfield, Remington and Sharps .50 caliber with this unit and labeles those guns "Experimental":

So I was hoping to find out if that Remington was shooting the same ammo as the Spencer? Or dwas there another rim-fired casing that it used?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
ehull

Re: Remington's and Spencer

Post by ehull »

Todd-
The "Spencer's & Remington cartridges / rim primed metallic cal .50" are probably listed because they are interchangeable between those carbines. However, by this late date I doubt that any Remington "split breech" carbines were still in use, and the Army bought no Remington Rider rimfire carbines. The Remington carbines listed in the report are the later Springfield-Remington Model 1870 carbine, which used a .50 centerfire carbine cartridge.
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

I believe the .50 cal you are referring to are 50-70 cf cartridges that were used in the Springfield Rifle and Carbine..Later model Springfield used 45-70's..Jim
jon_norstog

Post by jon_norstog »

The spent cartridges can't talk. To bad - some of them may have been fired from Comanche guns. The west was awash in guns after the Civil War, including Spencers, and the New Mexico Comancheros gladly sold arms and ammo to the Comanche. All they could get.

As for the Army's Remingtons, they most likely shared the 50-70 caliber with the trapdoors in use at the time.

jn