REMINGTON ROLLING BLOCK IDENTIFICATION

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
urlybird_1

REMINGTON ROLLING BLOCK IDENTIFICATION

Post by urlybird_1 »

I just bought this today at an estate sale and I am trying to identify this Remington rifle - The model,when/where it might have been used and what the markings mean especially the D. 5. 270. It has crown stamps on the hammer and barrel. The last patent date is 1866. It measures about 50" in total length. Any help would be appreciated.
Here are some images:

oldremguy

Re: REMINGTON ROLLING BLOCK IDENTIFICATION

Post by oldremguy »

Hello,

Your rifle was made for the Danish in 1867. Remington made 42,000 of them, they are chambered in11.7x51R Danish cartridge.

Have a good day,
Matt
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

p.s. It's just referred to as a "military rolling block", they made over a million of them...
glayrem

Post by glayrem »

Hello
It does appear to be one of the original 42,000 rifles of the original Danish contract. Check between your receiver ring and the rear sight for s crown. if t does have this, it may well have been rebarreled and was renamed the Model 1867/97 and intended strictly for blackpowder cartridges only in the 1890s. Danish made copies were said to be rechambered for an updated smokeless cartridge in this period which was reserved for those rifles made in Denmark by the kjobenhavn Toihuus or Copenhagen Arsenal due to their finer quality steels. These became known as the Model 67/96. The older Remington made rifles were not intended to be used with this later cartridge because of age and quality of steels, and were relegated to the Jutland region coastal reserve artillery units or civilian shooting clubs to be used with blackpowder only. If memory serves me right, a crown OR a 97 in the aforementioned area, supposedly distinguish these rifles. Those imported in the 1951-58 period which we commonly see, are the m67/96 which were advertised quite wrongly as "45-70" compatible which DOES work, but causes some heavy swelling in the web of the case with smokeless and blackpowder because of the 45-70's slightly undersize dimensions. The length of the later 11mm cartridge was very close to the 45-70 though. Hope this helps

George
tjack

Post by tjack »

Your rifle was made by Remington for Denmark. It was originally chambered for the 11.7x42R rim fire cartridge. Sometime before 1897 it was surplused out to civilian shooters. Civilian shooters converted these to at least two different center fire cartridges: 11.7x42R and 11.7x45.5R. They used either center fire cartridge for civilian shooting matches. If they competed in "military" style competitions they were required to use the military rim fire cartridge. This is why the breech block is drilled with two holes. Two different firing pins were required. Contrary to "popular" belief, the firing pin found on the more recent M1866/97 is not a convertible firing pin. Your rifle is fitted with the original Enfield rear sight.
urlybird_1

Post by urlybird_1 »

Thanks for all the help! I will check the receiver ring and the rear sight for a crown. So what is the value of a rifle like this?
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

tjack wrote:Your rifle was made by Remington for Denmark. It was originally chambered for the 11.7x42R rim fire cartridge. Sometime before 1897 it was surplused out to civilian shooters. Civilian shooters converted these to at least two different center fire cartridges: 11.7x42R and 11.7x45.5R. They used either center fire cartridge for civilian shooting matches. If they competed in "military" style competitions they were required to use the military rim fire cartridge. This is why the breech block is drilled with two holes. [b]Two different firing pins were required. Contrary to "popular" belief, the firing pin found on the more recent M1866/97 is not a convertible firing pin. Your rifle is fitted with the original Enfield rear sight.
[/b]

I had 3 of these some years ago when I was dealing in antique guns. They all had 2 striker holes and the firing pins were reversable. You simply turned the pin over for rim or centrefire.
tjack

Post by tjack »

stanforth,
I think what we have here is an incident when some pre historic gun writer looked at the breech block of a Danish Rolling Block and thought "it should work". It quickly became "it will work". Unfortunately, it does NOT work. Reversing the firing pin allows the rear of the firing pin to stick out of the rear of the breech block. It will not seat all the way. The retaining screw will not go into its hole and, if installed in the rifle, the breech block will not open.
Try it.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Thanks for your reply.
The rifles I refered to were sold as curios (not of shooter condition) years ago so I am not in a position to check. I will look out for another just to satisfy my curiosity.
Freightman

Post by Freightman »

This one was made by the Norway firm and I shoot it all the time with 45/70 with very little swelling at the webb if any. Has the origional barrel and SN on all parts match. I only use BP or BP pressure loads.
Attachments
DSC02642_edited.JPG
DSC02642_edited.JPG (179.93 KiB) Viewed 33458 times
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Yesterday I did an experiment with one of the rilesthat I sold a few years ago, see previous post. Having borrowed it back I loaded one case centrefire and modified another to rimfire by drilling an offset 1/4 inch hole and resessing it to take a .22 blank. Having loaded them both 'blank' I tried the pin for both settings and YES it does work on both centre and rimfire.
glayrem

Post by glayrem »

Hello Urlybird 1
George Layman here. Say I an wondering if it would be possible to obtain an identical set of photos as shown here from you? Reason being when it comes time to do a revised edition of my new Military RB book, I would love have pictures of your original Remington made "Great Dane!" I sold my one and only example in the 1970s and could use the photos for a future edition ( even though the first has not yet arrived!) If possible a disc would be great and I would reimburse you as required. 1100 to 1200 kb is fine if you can only send on email. Much obliged!!
George :D