Hepburn or Rolling Block Sights - Questions

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
71fan

Hepburn or Rolling Block Sights - Questions

Post by 71fan »

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and have enjoyed browsing through the information and topics here.

I have noticed that most Hepburn questions go unanswered, so I'll keep mine simple and hope for the best.

I would like to know a source (book, website, guru, etc.) that shows what sights were offered on the Hepburns, dovetail specifics, etc. I would think the offerings would be the same as the sporting rollers, so if anyone has that information I'm all ears.

I am trying to replace my rear barrel sight and I want it to be as correct (or at least period) as possible. The rifle also has a mid-range vernier sight, so a low-profile or folding-leaf sight would be preferable.

Thanks in advance!
-71fan-
punklp

Re: Hepburn or Rolling Block Sights - Questions

Post by punklp »

The Book "Old Gunsights" by Nick Strobel has some information on your sights. Also contact Lonestar Rifle Company (They make reproduction of Remington single shots)
Tony Kastella

Post by Tony Kastella »

Hello,
As for me I found Remington Replicas at Montana Vintage Arms. Notably the "rough and ready" rear sight. My Rolling Block has a Beach Combination sight and I am trying to find "orignal" type "pin and bead" post to replace the one I BROKE. The above mention book by Nick Stroebel has many pictures and is specific for each model so give it a try! Good Luck let us know what happened.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

The early Hepburns and #1 sporters used the same sights as the ealy Marlin 1881 and Ballard rifles. They most likely all bought sights from Bridgeport Tool. All my Hepburns, #1, #1 1/2, and #2 rifles not only have the same sights as my Marlins and Ballards, but even use that same harpoon style elevator, and have the same little sharp "ears" on the sides of the buckhorn.
When I got my first old Sporting Rifle I thought someone replaced the sights with Marlin sights, but after the 4th one, and seeing some that friends had, I realised they were factory.-Vall
JReed

Post by JReed »

71 no answers for ya just wanted to say hi. Good to see you over here also. :D
Semper Fidelis
71fan

Post by 71fan »

Vall,

Thanks again! Interesting about the Marlin and Remmy sights. I guess it makes it a bit easier to find replacements.

On the Hepburn I originally posted about, I ended up finding a 1911 patent King folding leaf sight with the proper dovetail (taken off of an early Remington M12). Although a bit off historically, it compliments the other sights well. I have an older repro Beeches up front, and use the short blade with the King folder for close range, and then switch to the mid-range tanger and the globe/post for 100 yds and up. I like it.

Jeremy,
Hello to you...good to see you here too!
-71fan-
71fan

Post by 71fan »

punklp wrote:The Book "Old Gunsights" by Nick Strobel has some information on your sights. Also contact Lonestar Rifle Company (They make reproduction of Remington single shots)
Thank you for the input. I have subsequently bought the recommended book and have found it very useful. I will eventually look to Lonestar to outfit my Roller.
Tony Kastella wrote:Hello,
As for me I found Remington Replicas at Montana Vintage Arms. Notably the "rough and ready" rear sight. My Rolling Block has a Beach Combination sight and I am trying to find "orignal" type "pin and bead" post to replace the one I BROKE. The above mention book by Nick Stroebel has many pictures and is specific for each model so give it a try! Good Luck let us know what happened.
Thank you Tony. Hopefully by now you have resolved your Beach issue. I have a few of MVA's sights and have been very impressed with their quality.
-71fan-
hepburnharry

Post by hepburnharry »

The early Hepburns had a 5/16 dovetail and did not use the early Marlin 1881 or Ballard sights. The correct semi buckhorn sight is pictured on page 204 & 206 of Nick Stroebel's sight book. The elevator has notches like a step, very similar to 1873 Win 1st models or Colt lightning rifles. If you would like a pic of the real deal send me a PM.