Remington Rolling Block Serial Numbers

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Uechi

Remington Rolling Block Serial Numbers

Post by Uechi »

It nevers ceases to frustrate me when you look at or purchase a No.1 Sporter with matching serial numbers and it it isn't even possible to determine the year of manufacture. Occasionally one gets a little information as to a manufacturing year.

I have a 44-77 No. 1 Sporter with a silver plaque.No way to determine who the people were mentioned on that plaque but it is dated November 1879. The serial number is in the low 3,000 range. I think it is safe to assume that the rifle was made sometime in 1879 or no earlier then 1878. Not much info, but better then nothing. Now I have another rifle without a plaque with a serial number in the 1400's. I would assume that this rifle was most certainly made before 1879
How much earlier who knows. It would be nice to know Remington's rate of prodiction on No1. Sporters if it was in order and if it ramped up during the Buffalo Hunting years.

Any member out there with Rolling Blocks with plaques that are dated? If so what is the serial number range? Maybe over time it might be possible to at least narrow the manufactruing time frame to a window of a few years. This would be alot better then what we have now.
roundtop

Re: Remington Rolling Block Serial Numbers

Post by roundtop »

Your low 3000 ser number would likely have been made in 1874. We know of several low 3000 rifles with 1874 patent dates. Some of these rifles are creedmoor rifles that we know were used in the 1874 matches. When the stamp for the side patents came out Remington no longer used the 1874 stamp on the sporters. However a couple are known with both the 1874 tang stamp and the side stamp. Your 1400 ser. number rifle was most likely made in 1873. Ed
Uechi

Post by Uechi »

I'm no expert but I find it hard to believe that a Rolling Block with a Silver Presentation Plaque was made in 1874 when it has a plaque is dated 1879. That is Five ( 5 ) years earlier then the plaque. The barrel, the tang and the forearm snabble all have the same serial number. If you are correct then the stock is not original to the serialized parts or the rifle was made special order from parts at the factory made in 1874. That might be a possiblity since the barrel is marked " ST" but has no set trigger Anything is possible, but I doubt the 1874 date but who knows and the frustration continues.
Uechi

Post by Uechi »

As usual, I was wrong. That's OK it's how you learn. It appears that many Rolling Blocks made in 1873 and up may well have spent considerable time either in storage at Remington or a hardware store etc. The culprit the financial " Panic of 1873" which didn't end until 1879. It affected both Europe and the USA. Many bank closings, and layoffs. A very reasonable explanation for why a rifle made in in 1874 might have an 1879 Plaque.
roundtop

Post by roundtop »

Pull off your stock and look on the front and see if it is the same serial number as the rest. Also the butt plate should be numbered the same. Ed
Uechi

Post by Uechi »

All the serial numbers match in every location.
roundtop

Post by roundtop »

It is great that all numbers match. If you could show a picture of the plaque someone might have some knowledge of the persons involved. You may be right that it sat in stock someplace. Might also be a family rifle passed down or given to an employee. We may never know. Ed
Uechi

Post by Uechi »

Ill try amd post a pic tomorrow. The plaque reads " From Stewart and James to Robert. Nov. 1879." If only rifles could talk, neat
roundtop

Post by roundtop »

I saw a rifle with that plaque many years ago. I do not remember if I was gathering information at that time. It was either at a gun show or an auction. A generic inscription and without a last name almost impossible to track down. As I remember, it was a nice rifle. Ed
Uechi

Post by Uechi »

Quite possible you've seen the rifle. The gun dealer I purchased the rifle from got it at a gun show I believe in Oklahoma. Probably never know anything else about the rifle' owner but it obviously had special meaning to someone and now to me.