1870 Navy Rolling Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
blackhills

1870 Navy Rolling Block

Post by blackhills »

Hey guys.I've got another one for you.I just got an 1870 Navy rolling block
type 11, it seems to be original configuration ,But the barrel has no markings
on it. No proofs, no anchor, my first thought was the barrel had been replaced, but the bayonet lug is on it And it is compleatly round.It has the ESA cartouch on the stock,Proper sights front and rear,32 5/8 barrel,fairly bright.
US on butt plate U on the barrel bands .It is not beat-up.
Any thoughts?
Bob
Added: It is a 3 groove barrel
ehull

Re: 1870 Navy Rolling Block

Post by ehull »

Bob- The few Type II rifles sent to France in 1871 apparently did not have inspectors' markings, nor did the Type I (except for the few hundred which had been accepted by the Navy and then withdrawn from service and sold). The contract for those sold to France stipulated 10,000 rifles, and Type I rifles were "defective" and thus were sold out of Springfield. Not all of the first Type I rifles that were made could be recalled from the ships of the Navy so it appears that some Type II rifles were made to complete this order. Your rifle's lack of markings seems to confirm this fact. Ed
blackhills

Post by blackhills »

ehull,thanks for reply.That seems plausable,but could it be an over-run.It does has the ESA cartouch. Bob
ehull

Post by ehull »

I have no record of overruns, and Springfield didn't do that--strict government accounting. The barrel markings were Navy inspectors' marks, and since these rifles to France were not Navy issue they didn't need Navy inspection. However, as an official Springfield Armory product, they did get Army (i.e. Allin) inspection.
blackhills

Post by blackhills »

ehull,good to know.thanks Bob
blackhills

Post by blackhills »

ehull.You seem to up on these rolling blocks. I have a previous post,Blackhills or
Hunters rifle.Would you have any ideas on the proof marks? Bob
ehull

Post by ehull »

Bob-
I'm a military RB collector and know very little about the sporters.