#1 R/B, 50-70, original

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
2oraffs

#1 R/B, 50-70, original

Post by 2oraffs »

2oraffs

(':lol:') Just received an original #1 Rolling Block Rifle (Infantry Issue?) in 50-70 ( shootable condition)with some accessories ....IE.. Bayonet, reloading set( Lyman 310) and a bullet mold. Also got 7 loaded rounds and 19 primed brass along with a piece of lead that shows rifeling marks. I assume the barrel has been slugged with this core of lead. My question is..That core mics at .506 across the widest marks, which should be the groves of the barrel. So what diameter bullet should be used in this rifle? I want to purchase bullets and shoot this thing before I acquire some raw lead and a pot. TIA
2oraffs@starband.net :lol: :lol:
T Jackson

.50-70

Post by T Jackson »

Assuming the slug came from your bore then that is the minimum size you want bullets. Would not hurt to go one to three thousands over.

Post by Guest »

Thanks T Jackson.......Have been looking at the commercial bullets avaliable and find lots of 50 Cal cast in the .510 to .511 range and a few at .515, but have found nothing smaller. May need to get the pot and some lead and go ahead with the bullet mold. Thanks again for the reply.