Thanks

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
qajaq59

Thanks

Post by qajaq59 »

Just wanted to say thanks to whoever it was that put the chart in here showing what year the rifles were made. I bought my 760 second hand in 1961 and I've always been curious of its age. Turns out is made in Sept of 1954.
And I guess Remington did a good job because you can still drive tacks with it, and I sure never coddled it.
DavidFagan

Re: Thanks

Post by DavidFagan »

qajaq59 wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to whoever it was that put the chart in here showing what year the rifles were made. I bought my 760 second hand in 1961 and I've always been curious of its age. Turns out is made in Sept of 1954.
And I guess Remington did a good job because you can still drive tacks with it, and I sure never coddled it.
The page has been updated as well and now includes a diagram to locate the codes. I've also added a direct link on the home page (Manufactured Dates) pre Jay's suggestion.

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/

Another people might find handy, it's not pretty and sometimes it may not be entirely readable, but here is a link to the copy of Remington Rifles & Shotguns Serial No factory data sheets. There's a previous / next button but no index or anything.
Legibility complaints not accepted, blowup requests maybe...
https://www.remingtonsociety.org/factor ... ok-serials
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Alpo

Post by Alpo »

Now, this is interesting. By the barrel marking (AZ), my model 14 is March of 1931. But by that serial number list, on page 55, my gun (121xxx) was made in January of 1930. Hmmm.

That page says it is Model 14 Rec. Does that mean that my receiver was made in January of '30, but they didn't get around to putting it together until March of '31, which is when they stamped the barrel?
I always take precautions.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Alpo wrote:Now, this is interesting. By the barrel marking (AZ), my model 14 is March of 1931. But by that serial number list, on page 55, my gun (121xxx) was made in January of 1930. Hmmm.

That page says it is Model 14 Rec. Does that mean that my receiver was made in January of '30, but they didn't get around to putting it together until March of '31, which is when they stamped the barrel?
It's not at all unusual for the serial number to have an earlier manufactured date than the barrel code. I have several 721s/722s/700s that share this scenario. Some by several years.

Den
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

The receivers were serial numbered, then assembled at a later date. Sometimes they were picked over for quite some time; months and even a few years. The barrel code indicates the assembly date.
STL9MM

Post by STL9MM »

I'd like to double that "thanks". I'd had the same question when looking at the chart for my 722. I saw another 722/300S with a lower serial number but it was "assembled" later than mine. I thought this might be the case but it's nice to have it confirmed. With that, it appears I have the oldest assembled 722 seen so far with a production code of Jan '48. :)
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

I have to disagree slightly. The barrel date is not the assembly date, it is the barrel manufacture date. Has to be, because I have seen barrel dates older than the receivers. They make barrels and receivers in batches, for both rifles and shotguns, at least they used to.
What could have happened... did.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

[quote="Virginian"]I have to disagree slightly. The barrel date is not the assembly date, it is the barrel manufacture date. Has to be, because I have seen barrel dates older than the receivers. They make barrels and receivers in batches, for both rifles and shotguns, at least they used to.[/quote]
According to the Remington factory historian it is the date of assembly.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Aren't the date codes the shipping date? The serial has to be stamped once the receiver is finished, but as above, parts are stored awaiting assembly. For handguns, the date code is the shipping date, so I'd guess that the same applied to rifles. I'm certainly open to correction by those in the know.
Dan