"Retro" Rifle for Midwest Deer Hunting

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
wrhusted

"Retro" Rifle for Midwest Deer Hunting

Post by wrhusted »

Folks:

I'm in the market for a deer rifle to use when I resume deer hunting (after a a break of around three decades). I'll be joining my brother in Michigan this Fall for some whitetail deer hunting. I'd long ago sold the deer rifle of my youth and now would like to buy an older model Remington rifle. Something manufactured between about 1920 to 1940. Thus my question to y'all who know Remingtons: If you were to go "retro," what model/caliber of Remington rifle would you be looking for?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Wayne
Wayne R. Husted
Olypenn22

Post by Olypenn22 »

Cannot get more retro than a Remington Model 8 Autoloader, If you are hunting in heavy tree or brush country they are perfect, a well balanced compact rifle, low recoil. quick shooting, hard hitting, usually came with iron sights or peeps, can be scoped,(but don't tell anyone I told you to drill holes in one).
They come in Rem .25, .30, .32 and .35 Cal., the later model of this rifle was the 81. Have them all. The .35 is the hardest hitting and the easy one to get ammo for. Here in the heavy treeded area of Western Washington prefer the .35 in case of Bear or Sasquatch :). Here is some more info:

http://www.remington.com/library/histor ... odel_8.asp

Goodluck, olypenn22
wrhusted

Post by wrhusted »

Thank you, Sir! I've done just that. I've acquired a Model 81 in .35 Remington that came with a Stith side mount and Weaver 4X scope. It cleaned up real nice and my gunsmith was tickled to work on it.

Regards,

Wayne
Wayne R. Husted