A typical Rem 760

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Neuplus4

A typical Rem 760

Post by Neuplus4 »

Several years ago when stationed in Japan with the Marines, I received a Remington 760 in 223 rem as a gift from a Japanese friend. The rifle has no serial number on the receiver as it is very heavily engraved with three gold game scenes on each side of the receiver. I believe the engraving was done in Japan but don't know for sure as I see no engraver marks. The left side of the barrel has what appears to be an inverted horseshoe mark and "D M" stamped with a nubmer 33 just above and to the right of the letters. On the right side of the barrel is the letters (REP) with what best can be described as a snowman looking stamp followed by a stamp that looks like the top half of Texas. There is a serial number stamp just forward of the receiver on this side of 448R over 966. This is not a "F" model to my knowledge because the stock is not of that grade...unless it's a replacement stock. I understand this is one of 200 rifles Remington produced in this caliber. Can anyone tell me more about this rifle and how to post pictures to this site?
DavidFagan

Re: A typical Rem 760

Post by DavidFagan »

David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

It would help if first you found the date of manufacture

Model 760 D, was just a Peerless Grade - same as model 760 except scroll engraved fancy wood, made 1953 - 1980

Model 760 F, Premier Grade - which is what you have, is the
same as 760 except that it was extensively engraved with game scenes and scroll, finests grade wood, also available with reciever inlaid in gold - add's 50 % to it's value.

Probably worth about $2000 - $3000 in good condition.

I do not know who your Japanese friend was - but he gave you quite a firearm.
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

Nueplus4

That is one nice rifle and a great gift. I was looking at Eugene Myszkowski's book titled " Remington Autoloading & Pump-Action Rifles. I had some questions about rifles I had seen on the internet sites and talked with Mr. Myszkowski about the graded 760 rifles. He informed me that there are a few Japanese engraved rifles showing up. I think you are right when you say the engraving was not Remington. While it has some of the same details there are a few clues that say not Remington. The wood is not right ( you mentioned that); the trigger guard is not engraved; you didn't say if the model and serial number was on the front bottom of the receiver, but I would say it wsn't from the other numbers you gave. I also looked at the gold inlays and found the Remington inlays more detailed and slightly better shaped. There is no question that your rifle is worth a premium but we discourage giving values on the forum. I would get a copy of Myszkowski's book and see what you think.
Neuplus4

Post by Neuplus4 »

There were stickers or something like that attached to this rifle's stock in the past that left a hard glue residue that I'd like to get off, but I'm afraid I'll ruin the finish underneath. Does anyone know of someone that can do a restoration/cleaning job on this stock?
Gene Myszkowski

Post by Gene Myszkowski »

Neuplus4
There were 2,723 Model 760s made in cal. 223 from 1964 to 1969. Yours was made in Sept. 1965 from the barrel date code DM. The inverted horseshoe mark is that of of the final inspector and the 33 is that of the assembler.

The engraving is done in the style of Remington's "F" grade with three gold inlaid game scenes on each side but several items are missing. The factory engraved arms have the serial number, Remington and the Model number and engraving grade hand engraved either on the side of the receiver (early) or on the bottom of the receiver /breech ring/barrel extension. The engraving would entend to the trigger guard and the bottom of the magazine in the case of the Model 760. The engraver usually signed his "F" grade work in a rock or stump or in the ribbon separating the game scenes. The stock wood would be of top quality highly figured walnut and the checkering would be hand cut at 24 lines per inch.

I have seen a number of Japanese and European engraved Remingtons from the post WWII period - all have been of high quality. most were full coverage with scroll work or had the inlays in silver. Yours is the first I have seen in gold. The engraver may have signed his name in Japanese in one of the scenes.

It is a well done rifle and your friend gave you a very nice present.

Gene Myszkowski
Author - Remington Autoloading & Pump-Action Rifles
Neuplus4

Post by Neuplus4 »

Mr. Myszkowski
I'm honored that you took the time to post your expert response to my inquiry. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. r/s Mike
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

Neuplus4

I was hoping that someone else would answer your question about cleaning the stock. No luck yet. I have been cleaning model 14 stocks for yeras. As long as there is finish on the wood, I like to use Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner. If you try this, first test it on a small area. Use a very light touch untill you see how it reacts with the finish. It will now remove deeplly damaged finish. Many times it is better just to leave things alone. You have to live with your decision. You have also try the cleaner on another gun of less value first to see how you like it. Best of luck.
Gene Myszkowski

Post by Gene Myszkowski »

Neuplus4,
I can help a little on the stock question. Remington did not go to the high gloss super hard DuPont RK-W finish until 1966. Your finish is probably the older lacquer base. The possibility does exist that it was refinished in Japan.

I would second shot1too's advice -- go slow and try mild cleaners first in small amounts and area. Some adhesives come off with just a damp cloth.

Gene
Neuplus4

Post by Neuplus4 »

As fate would have it, I came back to Japan to work as a contractor. This weekend I went to a gun sale on base where I met my old Japanese friend who had traveled from Tokyo to sell pre-owned guns. There is no market for pre-owned guns in Japan and the base is the only outlet to get rid of used guns where Japanese owners have either passed away or grown too old for shooting sports. Anyway, it was there where I saw this “new in the box” Remington 760 in 223 with the same date code “DM” as the one I got from him years earlier (earlier post). The sale was a lottery format and I was lucky enough to pick up the 760 before other club members. The box it came in however was for a Remington 742 of the same period, with the 760 serial # and caliber written on it. The gun is mint and unfired. I can’t believe my good fortune and I absolutely love this rifle. If I could post pics I would but I get an error that the pic file is too big.
Neuplus4

Post by Neuplus4 »

Does anyone know if they made caliber 223 Remington 760's in BDL model with pressed checkering? I see one advertised as a 1965 model. It also has the front sling swivel attached to the front of the forearm vice the barrel ring sling swivel I have on my two.