The Remington Society of America
         Home         FIRST POST IS MODERATED!                     An organization dedicated to the collection and study of Remington firearms, ammunition and history
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:49 am



Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Rem 760 .223 Rem 
Author Message

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:12 pm
Posts: 6
Post Rem 760 .223 Rem
Hi Guy's,
New guy here; Hey'...., I have a question, I'm thinking of selling my Remington M760 in .223 Rem with an extra magazine. The rifle is great shape; I'd say NRA 98% to 99% plus, as a used rifle goes.
It has a few extras too go with it, Talley mounts, rings, and custom back up peep sight. It sports a Redfield 3x9 Royal scope near 99% plus, of the same vintage.
Anyway, it's just gathering dust in the safe.... any one have a good idea of the worth.
Any help as to it's worth would be much appreciated.
Cheers
436


Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:51 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:04 pm
Posts: 539
Location: N.W. Wyoming
Post Re: Rem 760 .223 Rem
.
436 wrote:
Hi Guy's,
New guy here; Hey'...., I have a question, I'm thinking of selling my Remington M760 in .223 Rem with an extra magazine. The rifle is great shape; I'd say NRA 98% to 99% plus, as a used rifle goes.
It has a few extras too go with it, Talley mounts, rings, and custom back up peep sight. It sports a Redfield 3x9 Royal scope near 99% plus, of the same vintage.
Anyway, it's just gathering dust in the safe.... any one have a good idea of the worth.
Any help as to it's worth would be much appreciated.
Cheers
436


Many people ask......and they always get the same answer.....values are NOT given on the forum. It's only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it. Check some of the auction sites and see if you can find what some others have sold for.


Den


Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:52 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:12 pm
Posts: 6
Post Re: Rem 760 .223 Rem
Den,
Misunderstanding on my part... Yes I'm aware firearms are only worth; what someone pay and someone will take for it.

I'll take the worth inquiry on to the appropriate location.

Has for the rifle itself; is it a desirable for varmint hunting rifle? It seems pretty darn accurate to me when I've shot it, putting three rounds at 100 yards into a nice clover leaf.

Thanks again for the heads up on my faux-pas.
Cheers
436


Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:21 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:04 pm
Posts: 539
Location: N.W. Wyoming
Post Re: Rem 760 .223 Rem
.
436 wrote:
Den,
Misunderstanding on my part... Yes I'm aware firearms are only worth; what someone pay and someone will take for it.

I'll take the worth inquiry on to the appropriate location.

Has for the rifle itself; is it a desirable for varmint hunting rifle? It seems pretty darn accurate to me when I've shot it, putting three rounds at 100 yards into a nice clover leaf.

Thanks again for the heads up on my faux-pas.
Cheers
436


I dunno. Some years back I wrote to Remington and suggested (among other things) that they resurrect the .223 chambering for their centerfire pump rifle (which was then the 7600). Lo and behold, a couple of years later, they came out with the Model 7615. I never knew whether it was a coincidence and they had already been working on it or if they actually took my recommendation and acted on it........but I still have the copies of the e-mail exchanges with them.
I don't have any rifles chambered for the .223, but have two bolt actions in .222. I just thought that since they had only done that chambering for a couple of years in that caliber in the late 1960s and since I had seen them bringing pretty high prices in the various publications (like Gun List), it just seemed logical that there might be a demand for them again........like for ranchers and law enforcement use.
There were a couple of other things that I suggested that came to pass within a couple of years. Again, I don't know if it was coincidence or if they actually acted on my suggestions.


Den


Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:39 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:12 pm
Posts: 6
Post Re: Rem 760 .223 Rem
Den,
Interesting side bar on your involvement with Remington; I’…, like many had also thought the a "Carbine" version of the original M760 in .223 Rem would be a great companion rifle to the M870 pump shotgun in law enforcement patrol cars back in the 60's and 70's.
I think the M760 with a 10 or 15 rounds magazine would have been just fine. M7615 is a nice rifle, but seems to lack the feel of the older M760. If I'm going to use a 20, 30 or 40 AR magazine, collapsible stock and pistol grip, it'll be on an AR15/M4.
I personally like the feel of the M870/M760 where all the functioning parts are in the same place.
As for the M760 lethality in the .223 Rem as a combo caliber and rifle; it’s a hoot to shoot. I don't understand myself why Remington doesn't bring it back as the original M760 or for that matter the M742 in the .223 Rem would be nice.

Your .222 Rem bolt rifles, are they 700’s or 722’s? I have a M700 in .222 Rem Mag that I shoot long range {1k} with now and then... I use a 29.5” inch 1-8 twist with Berger 80gr match VLD’s. This combo as no problem at 1k, it’s just a lot of fun to shoot.
436


Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:44 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:04 pm
Posts: 539
Location: N.W. Wyoming
Post Re: Rem 760 .223 Rem
436 wrote:
Den,
Interesting side bar on your involvement with Remington; I’…, like many had also thought the a "Carbine" version of the original M760 in .223 Rem would be a great companion rifle to the M870 pump shotgun in law enforcement patrol cars back in the 60's and 70's.
I think the M760 with a 10 or 15 rounds magazine would have been just fine. M7615 is a nice rifle, but seems to lack the feel of the older M760. If I'm going to use a 20, 30 or 40 AR magazine, collapsible stock and pistol grip, it'll be on an AR15/M4.
I personally like the feel of the M870/M760 where all the functioning parts are in the same place.
As for the M760 lethality in the .223 Rem as a combo caliber and rifle; it’s a hoot to shoot. I don't understand myself why Remington doesn't bring it back as the original M760 or for that matter the M742 in the .223 Rem would be nice.

Your .222 Rem bolt rifles, are they 700’s or 722’s? I have a M700 in .222 Rem Mag that I shoot long range {1k} with now and then... I use a 29.5” inch 1-8 twist with Berger 80gr match VLD’s. This combo as no problem at 1k, it’s just a lot of fun to shoot.
436


Actually, the two .222s I have are (1) 1976 vintage Model 700 ADL and (1) 1974 vintage Model 600 Mohawk.

Buy, yeah, I agree with your thoughts on the 870/760/742 (variants) being used by law enforcement.


Den


Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:09 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.