odd model 512 Remington

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
ssnichol1

odd model 512 Remington

Post by ssnichol1 »

Hello my dad recently gave me what I thought was the barreled action- bolt & tube of a model 512 .22 rifle. This thing had been sitting unused for about 30+ years. I thought it would be neat to research it, find a stock and other parts and restore it. Well when I started looking for markings and measuring the barrel (18.5 inches not 24 ) things did not really add up it did not fit the bill as a typical sportsman rifle.
I called him today and he stated it was a slaughterhouse gun that originally had twin triggers and machine gun style handles! now researching online has come up with very little. I have not found much but read that they made these industrial app guns from 39ish-60's and made very few.

in addition to the odd barrel length the only barrel markings are a the RFP circular stamp and a 26 on the barrel and receiver.

can anyone help me learn more about this interesting rifle? I can post pics if it will help
John Gyde

Re: odd model 512 Remington

Post by John Gyde »

We need more & more accurate details. Is it a 512 or a 514 (from personal e-mails)? The stamp is REP, not RFP. Is the barrel rifled? I doubt very much that Rem would make a 512 for slaughterhouse work. It could have been customized and used for that purpose.
ssnichol1

Post by ssnichol1 »

it appears to be a 512 (tube fed) correct it is RFP , I assume Remington Firearm Patent. no other markings other than a 26 stamped on top of the receiver and barrel. It also features no safety where most 510, 511, 512's etc.. have.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

The usual stamping is REP which stands for Remington English Proofed. Now it sounds like you have a barrel code showing the month/year of assembly. The "F" may be a proof/testing stamp. Is there rifling???? Is there a serial #??? t'ts going to take photos before we can go much further.
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

ssnichol1
What you have is the barreled action from a Remington Stun-Safe,
Humane Stunner. It's a modified 512 and it had a shroud around the barrel,
which acted like a safety. The shroud had to be depressed before the 2 triggers could be pressed to fire the special Stun-Safe cartridge. I believe this
was all part of, and mounted in the special aluminum stock.

This was recently described in the 1st. Quarter 2012 Remington Collector's Journal.
Just another benefit of joining the Remington Society.
ChuckD
ssnichol1

Post by ssnichol1 »

Thanks ChuckD, can I purchase the back issue online? does it have a pic or diagram?
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

ssnichol1
Check out the availability of a 1st. Quarter 2012 Remington Collector's Journal,
at:

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/purchase

I think they probably have one, and yes it is pictured in the article.

ChuckD
AH445

Post by AH445 »

I have a 512 that only says SPORTMASTER. There is no THE above it. Is this common? I have looked at 100's of them and all say THE SPORTMASTER on the barrel.