Trying to identify Remington Model 12

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
buffalofish99

Trying to identify Remington Model 12

Post by buffalofish99 »

Hello,

Recently came into possession of the family Remington Model 12 - serial number 781982. It's a chrome or nickel finished hexagonal barreled model.

On the upper left side of the barrel is stamped
.22 Short.Long
CR Long Rifle

Below that are some "heiroglyphics" - looks like 0X?- (the ? is an odd almost diamond symbol).

On the lower right of the barrel is an "N" or a "Z".

Any info would be appreciated (not looking to sell, just want to know what it is).

Thanks,
Jim
nambujim

Re: Trying to identify Remington Model 12

Post by nambujim »

The authority on these is John Gyde, he'll probably respond later but the "OX" would indicate July 1929 as the manufacture date. I have never seen a nickel plated Model 12, anything is possible so its best we wait for John or someone else that knows these guns better. An octagon barrel does suggest it is a Model 12C.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
buffalofish99

Post by buffalofish99 »

Thanks - cant wait to hear more! I'll try to add some pics later this week.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

July, 1929 is correct. Rem offered partial or full nickel plating as an option on the M/12. Most that I have seen were earlier than yours. Talking from memory (dangerous thing to do) I believe the nickel was actually chromium.
BAMO

Post by BAMO »

buffalofish99 wrote:Hello,

Recently came into possession of the family Remington Model 12 - serial number 781982. It's a chrome or nickel finished hexagonal barreled model.

On the upper left side of the barrel is stamped
.22 Short.Long
CR Long Rifle

Below that are some "heiroglyphics" - looks like 0X?- (the ? is an odd almost diamond symbol).

On the lower right of the barrel is an "N" or a "Z".

Any info would be appreciated (not looking to sell, just want to know what it is).

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, it would be great if you could post a photo of your rifle. Many of us would love to see it!
buffalofish99

Post by buffalofish99 »

Sorry for the delayed response here - got sick over the holidays which put all plans behind schedule!

It looks like I can only add 3 pictures to each post, so I'll split them up a bit. In this post I've attached pics to show the rifle laying on it's side, the model and serial number along with the Remington and caliber stamps from the barrel.

I'll create another post or two with additional pics showing the rear barrel sight and additional stamping from the barrel.
Attachments
So far this is the best shot I've been able to get of the rifle laying on it's side...
So far this is the best shot I've been able to get of the rifle laying on it's side...
side view.jpg (61.34 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
Here's a shot of the model/serial number
Here's a shot of the model/serial number
serial number.jpg (192.46 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
In this pic you can see the Remington stamp on top of the barrel along with the caliber markings.
In this pic you can see the Remington stamp on top of the barrel along with the caliber markings.
top lettering and caliber stamp.jpg (105.77 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
buffalofish99

Post by buffalofish99 »

Here are the additional pictures I mentioned in my last post - top and side views of the markings on the barrel.
Attachments
Here's the writing along the top of the barrel.
Here's the writing along the top of the barrel.
top lettering.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
This stamp is on the left under side of the barrel.  A bit blurry but I think the shapes can be made out OK...
This stamp is on the left under side of the barrel. A bit blurry but I think the shapes can be made out OK...
left side stamp.jpg (104.26 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
This stamp is on the right under side of the barrel (hard to hold the rifle and take the pic at the same time!)
This stamp is on the right under side of the barrel (hard to hold the rifle and take the pic at the same time!)
right side stamp.jpg (218.54 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
buffalofish99

Post by buffalofish99 »

This is the last pic... It's a shot of the rear barrel sight.

It looks like the rifle needs a good cleaning (inside and out) but overall is in pretty good shape (no rust, pitting, etc).

I spent a good chunk of my youth putting 25 rounds per week through it - Rifle Club at the local police department. Unfortunately I never really got to test out the pump action as the club rules required single bullet only.

Once the weather warms up I'm looking forward to putting a few more rounds through it!
Attachments
Rear sight.
Rear sight.
rear sight.jpg (188.63 KiB) Viewed 5402 times
Sandarcy

Post by Sandarcy »

I have a Remington Model 12 C Repeating Rifle made in 1925. its .22 cal Short, Long, Long Rifle Pedersen's patent stamped on top of the barrel Also marking in the same area the the one above w/OX but they are different. (%S triangle on 1 side & square w/line thru it & O on other side) So Nice to see another Nickel plated one. I'm taking pics & hope to post them soon! I have had mine for over 48 yrs now. Thinking of selling it since I dont hunt any more. What is the value of a Nickel plated Model 12C ? I can find values for "Blue"reg model 12 series but I have only found 2 nickel plated & they were both on the Remington Society Page. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. TY
Sandarcy

Post by Sandarcy »

Hi I have a Remington Repeating Rifle Model 12-C #646637 Nickel plated with Pedersen's patent & other markings stamped on it. .22 Short.Long or Long Rifle. I am trying to find what the % S triangle means & the others markings. I'm still trying to get better pics. Its in Great Shape. I've owned it for over 46 yrs. My Father bought it for me when I was 8 to hunt with him. Any Comments or info would be appreciated. I will be selling it soon. TY :)
Attachments
6-22-2014_003.jpg
6-22-2014_003.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
6-22-2014_013.jpg
6-22-2014_013.jpg (52.2 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
Sandarcy

Post by Sandarcy »

Update: FYI I listed my Remington Model 12-C Nickel Plated Pedersen's patent & proof marking Pre 1925 .22 Short Long Long RIFLE #646637 For Sale with Mr Murrary via Gunbrokers.com as a Collectible. There are some great picks of it if you'd like to view them. The bore is in excellent condition! :) Thanks Remington & John G. for all the information & Help. It's sincerely appreciated! :)