Another Nylon 66 question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
jhasbrouck

Another Nylon 66 question

Post by jhasbrouck »

Spotted a black stocked w/white diamonds nylon 66 with blued metal. The info I can find indicates that Remington never made this version and that it was a CBC import. Further the grip cap should be plain if it is an import. This gun has Nylon 66 embossed on the grip cap. So is this the real thing or a made up gun? On gunbroker for sale now.
Wulfman

Re: Another Nylon 66 question

Post by Wulfman »

jhasbrouck wrote:Spotted a black stocked w/white diamonds nylon 66 with blued metal. The info I can find indicates that Remington never made this version and that it was a CBC import. Further the grip cap should be plain if it is an import. This gun has Nylon 66 embossed on the grip cap. So is this the real thing or a made up gun? On gunbroker for sale now.
The stock you describe (black with white diamonds) was typically on the model called the "Apache Black". All the ones of that model that I've ever seen had chromed barrel and receiver to repel the adverse affects of salt water and were sort of promoted to be used by fishermen in Alaska.
It's POSSIBLE that some were made with that stock and blued barrel and receiver.......as there were a multitude of variations of these rifles produced over the years.
I think another option is that it was originally a "Mohawk Brown" model and for some reason someone replaced the original stock with this one.
About 20-some years ago, I had a thought of replacing the Brown stock on mine with a "Black Diamond" stock. I contacted Remington directly and they quoted me a price.......and it was more than what I had paid for the rifle, so I decided to leave it as-is.

John Gyde and Roy Marcot are the historical experts on these firearms and if they stop by, they may be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Den

ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

jhasbrokuck,

You might look at the Nylon site, these are their speciality.
http://nylonrifles.com/forums/
tomcash

Post by tomcash »

Black stock, with white diamond and blued barrel and receiver cover is NOT a nylon 66. It is the CBC/FIE Black Beauty which is a Brazilian knock off made after Remington stopped production and sold the dies to them. The grip cap will be blank and will not have a 66 on it.
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Its too easy to swap things around on a 66 and say its something special. I couldn't find the gun in question but suspect this; I've seen so many of the chromed receiver covers ruined by some over zealous person with a steel wool pad that I didn't own one up until this spring when I finally found one that didn't look the a long time exposure of the stars in the night sky! Maybe a broken stock inspired someone to cobble up what you have found. I can usually find a gun for the price some are asking just for the stock!