model 550-1 ser no and front sight hight

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
neshanic

model 550-1 ser no and front sight hight

Post by neshanic »

Good day all,
I have inherited my Grandfather's 550-1, ser no B11. I recall shooting it as a young teenager which would date it at least to 1960. I have checked the ser no tables and the only match I see is the 'B'. The following 2 marks appear to be 11 ( similar to marks just typed but with out the bottom horz bar). I took several pics but they are not legible. Could any one assist me in identifying the date of manuf. or assist in putting me on the right trail. I have exhausted my computer search capabilities.

I cleaned the rifle and took it to the range and it functions flawlessly except for the fact that it shoots low and the front sight walked out of the dove tail. A closer look at the front blade shows it is not original to the rifle. Does any one know the original height of the front sight? I would like to put the proper front sight on.

thank you
neshanic
John Gyde

Re: model 550-1 ser no and front sight hight

Post by John Gyde »

The B11 is not a serial #. The 550s were not given serial #s until 1968 (actually Oct 1967). The "B" probably stands for January and is part of the date of assembly code. You need to look at the "11" again. It is probably lightly struck and on close examination should give you the year of assembly (production). Check the RSA home page for the code.
neshanic

Post by neshanic »

Thank you for the reply John, I did miss use the term Ser no and meant Manufact. date. I did take a very close look at the assy code under a strong magnifying glass. The 'B' is crisp and the (2) 1's ( with out the bottom horz. bar) show no signs of a light stamping or worn imprint. There is a horz. oval stamped to the left of the 'B'. On the right side of the barrel, in the same location as the 'B 11' there is a "heart" stamped in the steel. Other than that the only markings on the barrel are the manufacture, patents no's, Model 550-1 and (the caliber info): 22 s., L., & L.R. I did check the RSA date code and barrel code location dia. and I do not recognize any of the codes except the month on this 550. I am going to try to load a pic here showing the barrel code
Attachments
550-1 B11.JPG
550-1 B11.JPG (81.66 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

Good photo! It sure looks like B11. I have no idea as to the date....
viper1

Post by viper1 »

I have a 550-1 and also need assistance. On the left side are two stacked stampings.
The top one is DE3 followed by the "mushroom", my guess is a September 1958 manufacture.
The bottom one is KTT preceded by a double arrow and followed by a + with a circle in the middle of it, I guess a May of 1948 date. Which one is the manufacture date?
I am also curious about the right hand stamp, "mushroom", $, 12.
Any help is greatly appreciated, this gun now belongs to the fifth generation, my grand sons.
It is in superior condition and a excellent shooter!
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

The DE3 means that it was returned for factory repair in September 1958. Letters followed by a "3" indicate a factory repair.
viper1

Post by viper1 »

Thanks John! I thought it was purchased prior to 1950. That makes the manufacture date May of 1948, 2 years before I was born. It provided game for my grandfather, who was a sharecropper. My grandmother would give him only two "cartridges to bring home a squirrel or a rabbit for supper.