Oddly marked 40X

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
opdstrikeforce1

Oddly marked 40X

Post by opdstrikeforce1 »

I have a 40X (not XB), SN-43046B. Barrel markings are the "V" with a " ^^^ " on top, followed by " 7.62 NATO " and closest to receiver is " I O ". Since this doesn't correspond to anything found in Blue Book or the traditional Remington barrel markings, wondered if anyone is familiar with this. The rifle is wood stock, Whiteline butt pad, hand stop, 27 1/4" barrel, notched for stripper clip, repeater, bright blued receiver and unfinished stainless barrel. Barrel is drilled/tapped for sights and receiver has provisions for sight mount on left rear. This rifle was in the possession of the Louisiana State Police from 1974 to 2010. The former trooper ( now 70+ yoa )responsible for bringing in the rifle states it was obtained from a sales rep and was used, not a production piece and alledged to have been the prototype tested by USMC. I have no other info at this time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark
opdstrikeforce1

Re: Oddly marked 40X

With no reply in eight months, I'm wondering if someone could refer me to another source for info. If photos would help, I can forward via email, I can be contacted at: mark@mycopshop.com.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

I'll alert a friend about your post who knows a lot about 40X's. Maybe he can help.....
opdstrikeforce1

I would appreciate any assistance, thanks. I've corresponded with people at Illion, but lost their contact info on previous computer that went out. Emails, photos were sent and a phone contact indicated that the rifle may be a prototype of the M40, it was built late '63, early '64. This info was provided based on the serial number on receiver, as the barrel has unconventional markings. An inquiry to purchase was made with no monetary offer, only for me to name my price. Being a phone inquiry I am a bit suspicious and would prefer to have some other independant source.
Regardless of whether a prototype or not, it is a 40X 7.62NATO repeater in very good condition.