Model 8 manufacture date

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
drtoolz

Model 8 manufacture date

Post by drtoolz »

I recently aquired a Model 8, chambered in .35 Rem., in surprisingly excellent shape, and was please to see so, given its low serial number. Its serial number is in the Very Low Ten thousand mark, 10,23*, of course the * being in place of the last digit.

I have been to a few sites that list manufacturee dates, including this one , but I never seem to find and records of rifles this low in serial. Any help??
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Re: Model 8 manufacture date

Post by Jay Huber »

Your Gun was made in 1908. Jay Huber RSA
drtoolz

Post by drtoolz »

thanks man, that was fast!

I seem to keep finding these, local gun shop seems to get alot of Estates, I scored a pristine all matching SMLE No1 MkIII*, 1915, $300....same price as the Model 8
thanks again!

Is there a way of telling the Grade? There seems to be very little in the way of proofmarks and the like, a few "P"'s in circles, the serial, the caliber, and usual manufactures barrel stamp, so I would not know how to grade unless they used different wood, different cuts, different steels, ect.

Sorry for such Remington ignorance, being a Winchester/Springfield guy, I just don't know a whole lot of the history or resources for this rifle, although after the range last Sunday, I have to say, its a very well thought out rifle, and functions superbly for what it does.
Noel

Post by Noel »

You can try here and find all your heart desires regarding the model 8. Very helpful crew. :wink:
http://thegreatmdl8.proboards79.com/v45index.cgi?
As far as which model you have, is the wood checkered or metal engraved? If not it is likely the base model. if it is, well we need to see pictures. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps,
Noel
drtoolz

Post by drtoolz »

Well, turns out it is a standard grade, but pics are still on way. I am shocked at how managable this little rifle is, and remarkable the design is. I am not sure how this rifle slipped my notice earlier. I might just need another one in case i need parts, because I really want to hunt the NY Adirondacks with this puppy!

Thanks for the link, alot of info in there!