What to do with a Mod 572?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Iowegan

What to do with a Mod 572?

Post by Iowegan »

I recently purchased a Remmy 572 at an estate sale for $200. It is the "plane Jane" model with a 21" steel barrel ... not one of the more valuable lightweights or a newer BDL. The owner died but his wife told me he bought the rifle new in 1979 or '80, which matches the date code on the barrel (PV). Somehow the stock got badly damaged but the receiver, barrel, and all other parts look like new. In fact the only marks on the metal are where the forend has rubbed on the barrel and even that is very light. I took the 572 apart, cleaned it up, then took it out to the range. It functioned perfect and was quite accurate ... even for my old eyes.

I took the stock off, glued the nasty crack, and sanded it down. The birch stock is very hard and doesn't want to take stain well so I ended up with a not-so-pretty but functional stock. Of course this makes an otherwise nice looking gun look a little grim. I own a ton of other 22 LR rifles so it is not "essential" to the mission ... fact is, I'll probably sell it someday.

So my first question is ... is it worth buying a new stock to make the whole gun look nice? If I decide to sell it, would I get at least $100 more than in its current condition? The best deal seems to be Boyds where a nice walnut stock sells for under $100. The factory BDL stock is just too expensive and I can't find a new exact replacement. My next question is .... in the Boyds web site, it says "These stocks are designed for the smaller frame models." Is my 1979 vintage Mod 572 a small frame model?
Thanks.