Stock identification on 721 ..... fantastic wood !

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Wulfman

Re: Stock identification on 721 ..... fantastic wood !

Post by Wulfman »

I see.........
No engraving on the action.......only the barrel. Strange and suspicious.

Standard stamped serial number and logo on left side of action.

Heavily engraved barrel. Nicely done, but without engraving on the action, it's
suspicious as probably having been done later.

Aftermarket stock. Nothing like what would come out of the Remington factory or Custom Shop. I would venture to predict that the recoil pad doesn't say "Remington" on it. Maybe "Pachmayr"?

Den

studechip

Post by studechip »

You are right about the recoil pad, but it was replaced recently when the rifle was reblued. I don't remember what was on the original one, but it was very similar. I don't doubt your, or John's opinion, I am only trying to get answers. It would seem they are in some doubt. Is there anyone or anywhere I can take it to to get a definitive answer?
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

My collecting interest is primarily 22s, but I have owned a few high grade centerfires. ALL of the "E" & "F" grades had engraved serial #s. Most, if not all had the grade engraved as part of the serial # (like 1234F). The grade stamp on the wood..... I don't tell the location to prevent someone adding the stamp later.

The wood and engraving are really, really nice on your rifle, but I don't think it was done by Rem.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

studechip wrote:You are right about the recoil pad, but it was replaced recently when the rifle was reblued. I don't remember what was on the original one, but it was very similar. I don't doubt your, or John's opinion, I am only trying to get answers. It would seem they are in some doubt. Is there anyone or anywhere I can take it to to get a definitive answer?
Read Gene Myszkowski's post in this thread/link and look at the picture.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... 722#p13883

You'll see what a high-grade 722 from that period looked like.

Den

John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

[quote="studechip"]You are right about the recoil pad, but it was replaced recently when the rifle was reblued. I don't remember what was on the original one, but it was very similar. I don't doubt your, or John's opinion, I am only trying to get answers. It would seem they are in some doubt. Is there anyone or anywhere I can take it to to get a definitive answer?[/quote]

I think the non-Rem type wood, stamped Serial # instead of engraved, no engraving on the receiver (that's a big one), barrel code, no grade stamp, engraving all the way to muzzle should be an indication. The factory records are sketchy at best & you have already tried to get your definitive answer there. If I owned it I would be proud of it. It is beautiful but not factory. I have no doubts.
studechip

Post by studechip »

I appreciate all of the information given.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

The 725 stock I had was shaped and checkered exactly like a regular 725 stock. Except the wood was very fancy, lighter colored with much figure. Even the buttplate was proper original metal. This stock was 725 in everyway except the quality figured wood. The barrel and action were not enhanced in any way. Just regular 725 270.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member
umcpumpgun

Post by umcpumpgun »

I'll put my money that the stock is a Harry Lawson 1960's stock. The barrel eng. was probably done when the stock was replaced. Guarantee you Remington never put any wood or just eng. on the barrel like that out. The stock screams 1960's Weatherby look a like.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

umcpumpgun wrote:I'll put my money that the stock is a Harry Lawson 1960's stock. The barrel eng. was probably done when the stock was replaced. Guarantee you Remington never put any wood or just eng. on the barrel like that out. The stock screams 1960's Weatherby look a like.
You got me thinking (and Googling). Lawson was big on thumbhole stocks, but the one that did lots of inlays and radical, "rake-ish" grips was Winslow Arms. This one may not be a Winslow, but it kind of reminded me of those and the Weatherbys.

Den

studechip

Post by studechip »

I talked to Winslow this morning. He said they have never done any Remingtons. I saw some Weatherbys online. I'm thinking it could be one of those. I'm going to call them tomorrow.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

studechip wrote:I talked to Winslow this morning. He said they have never done any Remingtons. I saw some Weatherbys online. I'm thinking it could be one of those. I'm going to call them tomorrow.
Save your call......Weatherby won't have any information for you. They NEVER did any work on a Remington......they had their own brand name and that was the one on their firearms.

On the other hand, you might want to read the following links.
Supposedly, Winslow did do some work on Remingtons and some others, but their primary work was with Mauser actions.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/pages/win ... -works-art

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index. ... =3405795.0

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/genera ... ifles.html

http://www.bluebookofgunvalues.com/Gun_ ... OLT_ACTION

Den

Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Weatherby shopped some of their high end stock work out to a stock maker named Shaw. Shaw made the baby blue stock for the Weatherby rifle given to Walter OMalley (LA Dodgers). I actually polished on it for Shaw. Shaw fit an after market stock to my Dad on his 300Wby. Comfort of shooting was much better over the original stock

I tried to find a picture of the gun again. No luck so far but I did find this with a couple lines on the rifle.
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-12-21/ ... 1_cane-rod
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member