rare remington 14?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
billyhov

rare remington 14?

Post by billyhov »

I have a Remington model 14 first year production model .It has a 20 in. barrel. I know this is not a standard for these production rifles .I do know that Remington done a lot of experimenting on these early models But don't know if this a factory original .Why someone would cut 2 in. off a barrel could be anyones guess.If anyone has info on this let me know '
see post 1898.rare rem 14
rem141

Re: rare remington 14?

Post by rem141 »

I suspect that you gun is a cut off rifle, all rifles and carbines except some experimental models have the intregal front sight ramp that is machined as part of the barrel. We have records of 60 or more S/N 14s below your S/N and S/N 1000 that all have the normal 22 inch barrel. The expml. models would be under S/N 1000, even under 100.
The twisty follower, the end cap, the butt plate are all normal for your early gun. No model number is normal. The rear sight is different, looks like it started out as a number 1 wide buckhorn which is correct, but it has the top of the horns ground flat. Later guns had the number 3 wheel sight with the flat top and small notch.
The gun looks to be in excellent condition except for those two mods. Twenty inch carbines were popular in Savage and Winchester back then. Remington had discussions about making them too. In 1934 they did a study to possibly offer the new 141 in 30-30 Win and 300 Sav in 20 inch carbines. Instead they dropped the carbine and produced the half carbine 14/141 until the old 14 barrels were used up. However now those half 14/141 carbines are very collectable, many collectors don't know that they exist. There are also people who believe that Remington made a 20 inch carbine, in fact a famous gun writer mentioned his use of one and his fondness of it. But he did not claim it to be a factory gun.
That's my take on it, yours may be different, Ken Blauch

See pictures in another post, same title.