Identifying Manufacture Date on Remington Speedmaster 552

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
skasdi1

Identifying Manufacture Date on Remington Speedmaster 552

Post by skasdi1 »

I was given a Remington Speedmaster 552 semi-automatic in the early 80's and was recently trying to find out its manufacture date. The person that gave it to me said they won the gun in a raffle in 1967 and thought it was a 1962 model. So I searched the internet for several weeks and finally ran across the Remington Society of America chart to determine the month and year. Unless I am looking in the wrong place or completely confused it is not adding up. I located the three letters on the left side of the barrel near the charging handle and they read JAR. To the left of the three letters and slightly lower is the number 68. I cant seem to find out any info. I have attached a photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
Letters on Barrel
Letters on Barrel
photo copy.jpg (162.2 KiB) Viewed 14292 times
Wulfman

Re: Identifying Manufacture Date on Remington Speedmaster 55

Post by Wulfman »

skasdi1 wrote:I was given a Remington Speedmaster 552 semi-automatic in the early 80's and was recently trying to find out its manufacture date. The person that gave it to me said they won the gun in a raffle in 1967 and thought it was a 1962 model. So I searched the internet for several weeks and finally ran across the Remington Society of America chart to determine the month and year. Unless I am looking in the wrong place or completely confused it is not adding up. I located the three letters on the left side of the barrel near the charging handle and they read JAR. To the left of the three letters and slightly lower is the number 68. I cant seem to find out any info. I have attached a photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
It's manufacture date is "A R"......March 1968.
The letters represent the month and year. Since there is no month with the "J" letter designation, you go to the next two letters......which DO have month and year designations. In some cases, it helps to know what type of stock they used or other overall appearance in the case of some firearms which were made for a number of decades and the letters may repeat. But, in your case, you know the general decade, so it's a matter if interpreting the letters.

I have one of those rifles which was made in 1975.

Den

skasdi1

Re: Identifying Manufacture Date on Remington Speedmaster 55

Post by skasdi1 »

Thanks You for the reply. The J was throwing me for a loop.