1950's remington target rifle

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
opso

1950's remington target rifle

Post by opso »

I still need help on identifying a remington bolt action I have acquired. It is a single shot with a 308 bolt face bolt that is 722 style. It is not relieved on the top as every other rem ba I have seen. It is not a 40x. The ejection port is very small, just big enough for a 308 cartridge. It has blocks welded to the bottom for bedding, with the rear not drilled thru as a 722 or 40x. It is roll marked Remington on the left side, but no model number as the 40x's or 722's. has a four digit serial number. The trigger is very odd, it looks like a rem. trigger, but has five adjustment screws on it. The actual trigger will slide back or forward to change length of pull. The best guess anyone has given me is that it is a 300 meter international action made for the amu back in the late 50's or early 60's. Help. Thanks, Tom
nambujim

Re: 1950's remington target rifle

Post by nambujim »

Hey!
A picture is always helpful but I can give an "opinion" but would ask if it has "scope blocks" on the barrel...........for like mounting a Unertl or Lyman Scope, ie....Lyman Super-Targetspot.

I shot competitively for a long time and was very active in the 50's & 60's during which time I saw a lot of home grown modified rifles for use in competition. The best and most unique came out of Ft. Benning put together by "armorers" who could build damn near anything for their teams and built some really cool bolt guns for snipers before it became all high tech stuff run on batteries.

The mid 50's thru the late 70's was a very creative time for competitive shooting and in particularly shooting equipment. It was sort of like comparing it to our automotive industry in the late 50's - 60's in that you would see amazing new innovations all the time. When you went to a match (either small bore or high power) and walk by the racks it would amaze you how clever and innovative shooters, gunsmiths, and armorers were at the time.

Sounds like your "mystery" Remington was a product of that era and you will probably never know who put it together............but sounds really cool!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

Could it be an XP-100 action? If I recall they were round bottomed and 40-X's were flat.
opso

Post by opso »

Definitely not a xp-100. Not even close there. It has been rebarreled and restocked and only the action is Remington now. The action is definitely a Remington, as it is roll marked with their logo. I have never seen a Remington center fire gun with no model no. on it. It wasn't made from anything else because the ejection port is so small. The action is not cut away on the top at all, and the area in front of the port is the same diameter as the area behind it. I can't find bases for it because the rear is completely round just like the front.
I will try to get some pictures of it and post them. Thanks for the replies.

Tom