Black inlay in stock?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Clint KY

Black inlay in stock?

Post by Clint KY »

I recently got a Model 700 BDL in 270, made in March of 1986 according to the barrel code. I looked at many images on the web and some, but not all have a small black inlay on the right side of the stock just in front of the bolt handle as mine does. Is there any significance to the inlay?
Clint
Far West Kentucky
Wulfman

Re: Black inlay in stock?

Post by Wulfman »

Clint KY wrote:I recently got a Model 700 BDL in 270, made in March of 1986 according to the barrel code. I looked at many images on the web and some, but not all have a small black inlay on the right side of the stock just in front of the bolt handle as mine does. Is there any significance to the inlay?
Did ANY of them have an "inlay"?
Never heard of anything like that. You didn't mention what shape or size it was.

Could you upload an image for us to see?

Den

Clint KY

Post by Clint KY »

Here is one found on the web:

http://surviveprepare.files.wordpress.c ... n-0088.jpg

I attempted to add a photo of mine but was unsuccessful. Mine looks the same as the linked photo.
Clint
Far West Kentucky
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

OK. NOW I know what you're talking about!
They're used to cover up (reinforcing) pins that are inserted crossways in the stock.
Yes, those have been used on many rifle stocks. Used to be mainly on the Custom Shop or higher-grade guns using a rosewood "plug", but they've used a few different types of material and also on some of the other factory stocks in various models in more recent years. Probably more "cosmetic" than functional. In most of the factory stocks without that plug, you'll probably just see the end of the metal (brass?) pin.

Den