Fieldmaster 572 barrel code O M Y

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
roadmonk

Fieldmaster 572 barrel code O M Y

Post by roadmonk »

Hi. I would be grateful for some expert help deciphering the barrel code on my Fieldmaster 572. On the left side of the barrel there is an anchor symbol then three letters: O M Y

This confused me because of the 3 letters instead of 2.

I have the chart to decode barrel codes, which says O = July. But what about the two other letters M Y?

Any help is much appreciated.
600RemGuy

Re: Fieldmaster 572 barrel code O M Y

Post by 600RemGuy »

Go here:

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

Under where it says "B - L - A - C - K - P - O - W - D - E - R - X", click this:

"Barrel Code Location Diagram
Click this ^
Don't try to read this ->
It's just a thumb image"

This explains the barrel markings

Yours way made in july, 1965 or 1992. There is a vast difference between the different years so you should be able to figure out the decade. No serial number, 1965!
roadmonk

Post by roadmonk »

60RemGuy, thanks for the help. I reviewed the chart and the diagram. But I'm still not clear on what the Y in my barrel code (O M Y) stands for.

The rifle has no serial number, so that means the date of manufacture is 1965. But what does the Y stand for?

Thanks again.

600RemGuy wrote:Go here:

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

Under where it says "B - L - A - C - K - P - O - W - D - E - R - X", click this:

"Barrel Code Location Diagram
Click this ^
Don't try to read this ->
It's just a thumb image"

This explains the barrel markings

Yours way made in july, 1965 or 1992. There is a vast difference between the different years so you should be able to figure out the decade. No serial number, 1965!
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

The "Y" in your case is the mark of the person who assembled the rifle. This is an internal factory code givin to the person. So when all is said and done and if the rifle has NOT been factory repaired, your rifle shows the final inspection mark (anchor), month, year, then assembler.
roadmonk

Post by roadmonk »

Got it.

Thanks again for your very helpful answer.