A RB breechblock question?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Dixiejack

A RB breechblock question?

Post by Dixiejack »

Hi, first post other than my intro.
I found a Remington rolling block that appears to be a No. 5 smokless action by the patent date. The only markings I have found without out taking the rifle apart is the lettering on the tang "Remington Arms, etc., patent date Oct. 22nd, 1901 and CAL. 7MM on the barrel. The bore wore out and pitted, stock is cracked and splintered. Surprisingly the action is tight, strong main spring, not beat up and no pitting or feckling. It appears that the actions is the only thing salvageable.

This brings me to my question. Been wanting to build a RB BPCR but there seems to be an issue in that the extractor is for rimless cases and I want to rebarrel to .38-55 or possibly .40-65 (rimmed cases). Is this a major undertaking to convert the breech block and extractor from rimless to rimmed? I would be looking for a gunsmith who rebuilds/ customize old rifles. Like to hear feedback on the conversion and some recommendations for a gunsmith from all the RB experts on the site. I plan on just rebuilding a shooter around the action. I would be most grateful.
Never mind the mule, just load the wagon.