Dating my new Remington 700

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
stephejl

Dating my new Remington 700

Post by stephejl »

Picked up a new/not-so-new Remington 700. Year code is a J so it's from 1962, the first year which is consistent with a 5 digit SN. Can't quite make out the month code. Do you guys think it is the top half of a P, meaning June, 62? And does anyone know what the "facility" code is? does the 41 tell me where it was made? I'd guess NY but don't know.

Also, it is a 7mm Rem Magnum with a stainless barrel. The barrel does't say stainless or have a heart on it like some of them but when I tried to touch up the bluing, the cold blue wouldn't touch it. It IS magnetic however, as many 400 series stainless steels are.

Thanks in advance for your help. --Jerry
600RemGuy

Re: Dating my new Remington 700

Post by 600RemGuy »

The month stamp is likely a "R" for November as that lines up with serial numbers of the time. "41" is the employee that assembled the rifle. As for the barrel, you are correct. It is stainless; they weren't marked as such for the first year or so.
stephejl

Post by stephejl »

Thanks. I really appreciate that information and the correlation with the SN for the date.

Now to find some match bullets so I can load some quality ammo and shoot it.

--Jerry
Badger

Post by Badger »

600RemGuy wrote:The month stamp is likely a "R" for November as that lines up with serial numbers of the time. "41" is the employee that assembled the rifle. As for the barrel, you are correct. It is stainless; they weren't marked as such for the first year or so.
I apologize, but I am brand new. I know you have the answer. I bought a used, (but looks like it hasn't been used much at all), Rem 700 in 25-06. It has a recoil pad and a jeweled bolt, but no drop-down floorplate. It must be an ADL. I've tried reading the barrel stamps with a magnifying glass, but I just can't read them. They may be a C or G, followed by a strongly stamped l inside of maybe an O or Q that was very lightly hit. This is followed by 64, which I may have seen you refer to as an employee number. The serial number is A6284071. I've seen that the A may refer to the mid-1970s. I guess I'd like to know what I have. Thank you so much for the help.
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Badger wrote:
600RemGuy wrote:The month stamp is likely a "R" for November as that lines up with serial numbers of the time. "41" is the employee that assembled the rifle. As for the barrel, you are correct. It is stainless; they weren't marked as such for the first year or so.
I apologize, but I am brand new. I know you have the answer. I bought a used, (but looks like it hasn't been used much at all), Rem 700 in 25-06. It has a recoil pad and a jeweled bolt, but no drop-down floorplate. It must be an ADL. I've tried reading the barrel stamps with a magnifying glass, but I just can't read them. They may be a C or G, followed by a strongly stamped l inside of maybe an O or Q that was very lightly hit. This is followed by 64, which I may have seen you refer to as an employee number. The serial number is A628xxxx. I've seen that the A may refer to the mid-1970s. I guess I'd like to know what I have. Thank you so much for the help.
We were all new once. Its an ADL. Everything you state (except for the "inside of maybe an O or Q ) indicates a build date of April 1976 ( C and I ). Serial number lines up nicely. The I may be a special stamp because it is an I, not a 1. I can't say as I have nothing made that year. A pic if you can might be nice to see. Edit your post and X out the last few digits of the serial number like I did above.