New to the Fourm with a Question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
sfcjcl

New to the Fourm with a Question

Post by sfcjcl »

Hello,
I am new to the Fourm and have a question for the Collector's out there. Picked up a Woodmaster 742 in 30.06 the other day at a pawn shop. She was someone's closet queen. Anyway, I paid $340.00 including tax with the gun at a SOLID 98%. Here's my question---I dated out the serial number (277064) and it dates out to 1960. I realize pictures would help and will upload some when I get home, but what do you think??? Is she worth a "premium" due to the year of production and condition to a collector???

Plus, she is the ADL, according to Gene Myszkowski's article.

Thanks for your opinions
John Gyde

Re: New to the Fourm with a Question

Post by John Gyde »

[quote="sfcjcl"]Hello,
I am new to the Fourm and have a question for the Collector's out there. Picked up a Woodmaster 742 in 30.06 the other day at a pawn shop. She was someone's closet queen. Anyway, I paid $340.00 including tax with the gun at a SOLID 98%. Here's my question---I dated out the serial number (277064) and it dates out to 1960. I realize pictures would help and will upload some when I get home, but what do you think??? Is she worth a "premium" due to the year of production and condition to a collector???

Plus, she is the ADL, according to Gene Myszkowski's article.

Thanks for your opinions[/quote]

I doubt that there would be much premium if any. The 742 in -06 is a pretty common rifle. One was used by my dad in Michigan & we had a fair amount of venison on the table.
The Gamemaster

Post by The Gamemaster »

As previously stated - this forum is more of a help section then an appraisal service.
We don't appraise firearms here, but we do talk about them.

The Woodsmaster had a bad reputation for being slow to cycle, jams and shoddy craftsmanship.

The Gamemaster was a much better firearm from the perspective of looks, functionality, and durability.

Had your rifle been manufactured by Winchester, it would probably be worth $500 - $1000.
But most Remington rifles were never collector items, just good old reliable firearms that a common man with a meager pay could afford to own.

Unfortunately there is no market for Woodsmasters made in 1960..
There is nothing rare about them, nor is there a large following.
I would be hesitant of anything found that looks like the day it was new. If it was a shooter, chances are it would be scuffed up and wore in places where it was carried.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

The Gamemaster wrote:As previously stated - this forum is more of a help section then an appraisal service.
We don't appraise firearms here, but we do talk about them.

The Woodsmaster had a bad reputation for being slow to cycle, jams and shoddy craftsmanship.

The Gamemaster was a much better firearm from the perspective of looks, functionality, and durability.

Had your rifle been manufactured by Winchester, it would probably be worth $500 - $1000.
But most Remington rifles were never collector items, just good old reliable firearms that a common man with a meager pay could afford to own.

Unfortunately there is no market for Woodsmasters made in 1960..
There is nothing rare about them, nor is there a large following.
I would be hesitant of anything found that looks like the day it was new. If it was a shooter, chances are it would be scuffed up and wore in places where it was carried.

What a narrow minded response... There are a lot of collectible Remington's. Some that would surpass many Winchesters. I have guns that are 100+ years old that look as good as they did when they left the factory.
There's a collector for everything. There are charactistics that make a item more collectible though. The only thing that would make yours more collectible is condition IF its factory? The 30-06 is very common, and very common in almost every model rifle it was chambered in. Even common in the Winchesters. At the price you paid I think you did fine. If it was a BDL it maybe worth a little more. Enjoy it!
The Gamemaster

Post by The Gamemaster »

Remington 600 - we are all entitled to our own opinions.
What you have posted is in fact your opinion.
If you wish to post your opinion and not be attacked for your comments, then you also have to allow me to post my opinion - regardless of if it is a educated response or not!

I will give you a example - because I don't think that your simple mind can comprehend actual facts - else you never would have posted the dribble that you did.

In 1955 - while in the US Navy, my dad bought a new Remington Model 721 rifle for about $49.00
For an additional $20.00 - he could have bought a new Winchester Model 70 of the same caliber.

The appraised value of the Model 721 today is about $270.00 for his particular rifle, as I had stated before - if you hunted with it, it got banged up and had some character. One in MINT condition might be worth as much as $350.00
A off the shelf Winchester Model 70 of the same caliber, manufactured on the same day as the Remington would be worth at any gun shop, swap meet, for sale ad in a newspaper - what ever would be nothing less than $1000 - in any condition!

Did the Remington hold it's value?
One dollar in 1955 is worth $9.00 today.
$49 x 9 = $441.00
$69 x 9 = $621.00

From the standpoint of return on your investment, the Winchester was a very good investment while the Remington lost value in the same time period.

Would an additional $20.00 have broke the bank when my dad bought his rifle? Probably not! But his entire pay for the month was probably only $70.00

The Remington had shoddy workmanship and materials, the stock warped when it experienced temperature or humidity changes - had to be Free - Floated to alleviate the problem. Eventually the extractor clip broke, rendering the firearm unusable!

The Winchesters came with a better stock, higher production standards, and there is not a single part on the Model 70 that cannot be purchased - new or used today!
remington600

Post by remington600 »

The only opinion I added was that I thought he did fine at the price he paid. It is a fact and only a fact that their are many Remington's that are highly collectible. It's a fact and only a fact that their are some Remington's that have a higher value then their competitor Winchester. Its a fact and only a fact that their are collectors out there for everything from dolls to rocks even SKS rifles.
I didn't attack you. Just thought it sounded pretty narrow minded where your opinion seems to think that the only thing collectible is what stood up to your standards. Everyone can express their opinion. Even bad ones, but just know the difference between a fact or a opinion before you make accusations.
I have many early Remington rifles from pumps, bolt actions, single shots, to semi automatics. Your reply makes me feel like the luckiest guy in the world because none of them have warped stocks and none have them have glass bedded actions and still carry the factory pressure points. I would gladely sit at the bench next to and comparable factory Winchester and I promise you that you will have a challenge on your hands.
Investments....Back in the early 1900's a Remington model 12 averaged $16.00+ new. That same rifle new today would reach an average of $1800.00. A Remington model 24 sold for an average of $24.95. Today that same rifle NIB would surpass the $1200.00 mark and the buyer would have a fat smile on his face. A Remington 600 could be had for $150.00 new. Those same rifles today in good "USED"condition can average $575.00 for a common 308, $950.00 for a 35 Remington to $5700.00 for a .223. Those are all examples and facts from guns across the whole 1900 time period. Smart investment talk.......I know you don't want to hear about Remington 1875's, 1890's, Remington No.7's or Remington cane guns.
Please express your opinion. Just be more open minded. This guy his happy with the deal he received. He's not stating that it's worth a premium, just asking if he thought it could be. No matter what the facts are this website and forum could help and hurt the Remington Society's reputation.

Also.... it is very hard and most of the time here giving valuations on Remington's via the website are avoided, but with very educated RSA members here and a good description's and pictures a decent average value can be had. We will let the Admin and our overly educated RSA mbers determine if a value can be given.

Thanks in Advance,
Billy Smith
The Gamemaster

Post by The Gamemaster »

Go Away!

Crawl back under what ever rock you crawled out from and leave me alone.

If you want to talk about appraised value of firearms, this topic should be discussed in some other type of forum, not here!
I can talk prices with you probably longer than you can...
Having grown up in the shadow of Grice Gun shop, from the time when it was in a gas station in downtown Clearfield PA, to when it moved to a small clothing store to when it moved into it's "New" building, I have seen literally thousands of used rifles on the rack and have seen all kinds of price structures.
If you want to talk about Remington Rifles in a constructive manner, I can tell you that I have seen whole tractor trailer loads of Remingtons being unloaded at the warehouse.
There is basically two types of firearms that are collectable.
Rare firearms - not normally seen in Walmart, such as Remingtons chambered in Winchester calibers - not .270, and special order or unique firearms, not normally sold to the public.
There was a following of Model 1100's at one time, since most everyone I knew used them for trap.
Other than that - you are never going to get for a Remington what you can get for a Winchester.
The plain Jane Rifles Remington made were never intended to be anything more then functional tools - much the same as a shovel or a pick or a ratchet and socket set.

Blow smoke up someone else's butt...
The Woodsmaster came in a close second to the Model 141 Gamemaster - which in my opinion was the worst piece of crap that Remington ever made! If you want to buy a Amish machine gun, the Woodsmaster and the 141 were the two rifles to stay away from!
remington600

Post by remington600 »

I have to know, and I'm sure others are wondering. Why do you even get on this Remington Society website? If Remington's are so crappy and all?
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

[quote="remington600"]I have to know, and I'm sure others are wondering. Why do you even get on this Remington Society website? If Remington's are so crappy and all?[/quote]

I have to wonder as well.
Gamemaster32

Post by Gamemaster32 »

It seems that I'm never like the other kids :( ...but the Model 141 "Slide Trombone" still plays my favorite tune! :lol:
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

The models 12 & 121 sound pretty nice as well. Some may think the M/121 is junk, but nobody has made a better 22 pump. Yup, I said nobody.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

The 12, 14, 121, 141 are all great guns and ALL of them are very COLLECTIBLE! Including the very nice condition standard grade ones. I also agree that no one has made a better pump 22. The Remington 700 has also held the factual reputation as being the most accurate rifle out of the box. There has been a big rise in people collecting them as well.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

Speaking of quality.... Does the military use Rem M/700 Sniper rifles or Win M/70s????????? What country are the M/70s made in this month?????

This thread has gone long enough so I'll stop.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

HE HE! Yes we have to shut the website down to scan for viruses. The word Winchester was used to much.