An unusual Improved Model 6

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
db428

An unusual Improved Model 6

Post by db428 »

I mistakenly posted this in the handgun forum .....

Gentleman I have what I believe is an unusual Remington Improved Model 6 that had been in my family for many years. I was told that this rifle was used by a detective agency in the West Virginia coal mine riots in 1920, but that may be just a story. I didn't pay much attention to this rifle until I decided to remove that old finish from the stock. The finish gave no indication of what I would find underneath. I was very surprised to find a beautiful, apparently curly maple stock. I have not seen another Model 6 with this type stock on internet searches. Additionally the barrel appears to have been shortened to 14 inches and has a series of letters stamped next to the serial number. Any thoughts as to what this rifle could be?

John Gyde

Re: An unusual Improved Model 6

Post by John Gyde »

Your rifle was made in Jan 1931 (date code BZ) so use in 1920 is at least doubtful. The Imp M/6 was made from 1929-1933. The extra letters are proof/inspector marks. The stock and forearm configuration look to be factory, but no options other than the standard American Walnut were listed by Rem. It looks like the barrel on yours has been shortened and relined? It started out at 20"
db428

Post by db428 »

Thank you John for the information. Still curious about that stock wood which before I removed the old finish appeared to be original to the rifle.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

That stock looks like and most likely birch.
db428

Post by db428 »

Pretty sure it's not birch. I'm thinking curly maple based on the way the curl changes as you move the rifle and I've built a few muzzleloaders of curly maple.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

If its curly maple then its not Remington.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

[quote="remington600"]If its curly maple then its not Remington.[/quote]

I agree. It looks like a factory configuration & I doubt very strongly that they would have used maple.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

John Gyde wrote:
remington600 wrote:If its curly maple then its not Remington.
I agree. It looks like a factory configuration & I doubt very strongly that they would have used maple.
Yeah...looks definite factory shape and fit, and birch.