Model 14-1l2 .44-40 rifle

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
old tanker

Model 14-1l2 .44-40 rifle

Post by old tanker »

I have come across a Model 14-1l2 rifle in .44-40 that looks pretty good except it has a step elevator sight installed. The notch for the thumbwheel sight is in the barrel. The sight installed the extends back over the barrel address roll marks, so I suspect it to be an old replacement.

The rifle has the smooth crescent buttplate and otherwise seems correct. I have a couple of questions. Is there a good source of information on the various versions of the 14-12 all in one place?
Which one was produced in higher numbers, the rifle or the carbine? I have personally seen more carbines than rifles, but that is hardly a statistically valid sample.

Is there anywhere to find out how many were produced and the distribution between rifle, carbine and caliber?
nambujim

Re: Model 14-1l2 .44-40 rifle

Post by nambujim »

You need to purchase Ken Blauch's book covering the Model 14, 141, 14-1/2, and 25..............it is an impressive work covering just about everything that is known about these rifles.

Depending on your serial, that may well be the proper sight, they changed from the wheel sight to the 701-1/2 long leaf sometime in the 20's but ALL the barrels retained the slot for the wheel sight.

There is not much in the way of specific model production since the serials for the 14 & 14-1/2 were all in the series and used the same frame.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
old tanker

Re: Model 14-1l2 .44-40 rifle

Post by old tanker »

nambujim wrote:...You need to purchase Ken Blauch's book covering the Model 14, 141, 14-1/2, and 25..............it is an impressive work covering just about everything that is known about these rifles...

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
They are sold out here and after all these many months, none of the used book dealers has had one for sale.