Oh! The humanity, the humanity....

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Recoil Rob

Oh! The humanity, the humanity....

Post by Recoil Rob »

Someone has been cannibalizing Model 14's and selling the parts on eBay for the last few weeks, first a .35 and now a .30.

If you need parts you may want to take a look.
nambujim

Re: Oh! The humanity, the humanity....

Post by nambujim »

Rob / others!
Hampel Guns in Traverse City, MI are the folks on Ebay selling the parts.
I purchase from them, they are quite reputable, and in almost every case the guns they are selling have serious problems making them VERY difficult to sell in their store.

They get more for the individual parts rather than selling the entire rifle as a parts gun. In the past some of these rifles have no stock or in one case the receiver had a "mass" of holes drilled in it, others are just missing parts. They actually compete with me a bit but in a lot of cases someone buys the parts from them and then the rifle ends up here for me to install them.

I don't believe any collector grade or really decent hunting grade rifles were lost here.................it happens, the parts they sell/supply may well save or at least make several other rifles usable. It is a trade-off.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Recoil Rob

Re: Oh! The humanity, the humanity....

Post by Recoil Rob »

Good to know Jim, thanks for putting my mind at rest. I almost went over to the dark side last year. About 3 years ago I completely tore down a M14 in .30 Rem, everything except the trigger group. I cleaned everything in an ultrasonic bath, dried and oiled all the parts and proceeded to let it sit for 3 years. Every time I looked at all those parts I got discouraged and found another project.

But a friend told me I should give it a try "because they only go back together one way and still work". It took me 4 hours but I did it, and sold it before I even got into the gun show. But I almost parted it out. Would have been a shame, it was in really nice condition after the cleaning.