Remington 721 yearly totals of ADL and BDL manufactured?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Newbloomfield

Remington 721 yearly totals of ADL and BDL manufactured?

Post by Newbloomfield »

I am interested in the number of ADLs and BDLs of the 721 manufactured by Remington, especially in the 1950s.
I have seen a previous post on the Remington 725 that quotes John Lacy's book, THE REMINGTON 700: A HISTORY AND USERS MANUAL, to provide yearly totals of rifles manufactured.

I looked at the price of the book on Amazon, and it costs as much as a Remington 721, which prompted me to ask the distinguished members of this Society if someone who already owns the book could provide some totals for me.

I also would ask if Remington produced all of the 721s with a metal butt plate, or if there were factory models, such as the ADL and BDD, which were manufactured with a recoil pad? I assumed that all the standard production 721s were made with a metal butt plate, but were any recoil pads installed at the factory for any versions of the 721?

One more question to add to the laundry list. Why was the Remington 725 30-06 only made with a 22 inch barrel? (or am I wrong on that, too?) I have purchased a beautiful 1956 721 ADL, which has in part prompted all these questions. I should say that even if my 56 has been modified, I am still in love with it!

thank you in advance, and sorry I previously posted this question in the wrong section.
600RemGuy

Re: Remington 721 yearly totals of ADL and BDL manufactured?

Post by 600RemGuy »

Sticking with 1956, which is what you seem to have, I can give you some production numbers. I don't pretend to know much about the 721/722 series. Only know what I've read. I don't even know what High and Low means pertaining to the numbers. I suspect it means high or low comb on the but stock for scoping purposes. Hell, I don't even know the difference between the As, ADLs, and BDLs!

In 1956, it says 6723 rifles total were built in 30-06.

2929 A-low
17 ADL low
3633 A high
104 ADL high
40 BDL high

Says next to nothing about butt pads.

22 inch barrel was all that was advertised for the 725.
Newbloomfield

Post by Newbloomfield »

Many thanks, 600 RemGuy! very helpful information, you answered half my questions. Hell, only 121 ADLs were made that year! Whoopee, that really makes my 56 special in my eyes! It is in mint condition, i am guessing not too many others are 58 years later.

Would like to know what "high" and "low" mean. Maybe a reference to the serial numbers? Or is it style?

I have only found references to a 22 inch barrel on the 725s . . . I guess I like the longer barrel because to me it seems that would make the rifle inherently more accurate. Maybe not much difference for the way I shoot, haha. But i admire the precision of the rifle, made back in the day when the US was truly an industrial nation. I also have a 1949 Ford 8N tractor, if that tell you anything.
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

My 8N is a 1951!

A recoil pad was fitted to the 300 H&H Mag chamberings. The aluminum one was standard for all others.

I'm sure high and low is the comb height on the butt stock making picking up on a scope better with a high comb, iron sites with the low comb.

No numbers on 721/722 before 1951!
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

At the other end of the production years, I have a 721 in .264 Win. Mag made in 1961 which has a black, Remington (honeycomb style) recoil pad. This rifle does not have the barrel "hump" either. It's all "factory"......no modifications.

Den

600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Den-you know I looked for the 264 reference and couldn't find it. I just now went back to the 700 book( I have 2, one signed one not) after reading your post and see it is in about one paragraph on the last page of that chapter, sorta hidden after the charts. I had heard many years ago that the 264s in 721s were stainless steel barrels but was frustrated as to where I read it. That would be a fine specimen to have for sure!
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

600RemGuy wrote:Den-you know I looked for the 264 reference and couldn't find it. I just now went back to the 700 book( I have 2, one signed one not) after reading your post and see it is in about one paragraph on the last page of that chapter, sorta hidden after the charts. I had heard many years ago that the 264s in 721s were stainless steel barrels but was frustrated as to where I read it. That would be a fine specimen to have for sure!
Yes, it's a 24" stainless. It's been used, but definitely not abused. I acquired the rifle (along with a Custom Shop '89 vintage 375 H&H Mag) in 1993 when doing some "horse trading" with a guy for some computer equipment. I won't put in print how much of an investment I had in the deal, but I definitely came out ahead. :wink:
Is there any mention of how many .264s were made in the 721s? There was a small sticker on the stock when I got it (I probably still have it somewhere) and it made mention how many were produced.......slightly over 1000, I believe (maybe somewhere between 1100 - 1200). So, I'd be interested to know whether that was a "ballpark" number if anybody has those statistics.

Den

600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Yes, it's a 24" stainless. It's been used, but definitely not abused. I acquired the rifle (along with a Custom Shop '89 vintage 375 H&H Mag) in 1993 when doing some "horse trading" with a guy for some computer equipment. I won't put in print how much of an investment I had in the deal, but I definitely came out ahead. :wink:
Is there any mention of how many .264s were made in the 721s? There was a small sticker on the stock when I got it (I probably still have it somewhere) and it made mention how many were produced.......slightly over 1000, I believe (maybe somewhere between 1100 - 1200). So, I'd be interested to know whether that was a "ballpark" number if anybody has those statistics.

Den

.[/quote]
All it says its that sales were in excess of 1000 units so your numbers seem correct if from a different source.

Brad
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

600RemGuy wrote:
Wulfman wrote:Yes, it's a 24" stainless. It's been used, but definitely not abused. I acquired the rifle (along with a Custom Shop '89 vintage 375 H&H Mag) in 1993 when doing some "horse trading" with a guy for some computer equipment. I won't put in print how much of an investment I had in the deal, but I definitely came out ahead. :wink:

Den

All it says its that sales were in excess of 1000 units so your numbers seem correct if from a different source.

Brad
Thanks Brad.
I managed to find the little sticker (it's always in the last place you look, and in this case, I had it taped inside a file folder of some of my firearms info).

Anyway, it says ". 264 Mag - only 1115 made".
Don't know who the source was, but sounds like we're in the "ballpark" somewhere.

Den

Newbloomfield

Post by Newbloomfield »

Den,

Any chance you could post a photo of the stainless 264? I am a rookie but I have spent time looking at a lot of old 721s and I have never even seen a photo of one with a stainless barrel!! I imagine it is quite beautiful, but I would love to see how it has aged.

thanks,
Steve
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Newbloomfield wrote:Den,

Any chance you could post a photo of the stainless 264? I am a rookie but I have spent time looking at a lot of old 721s and I have never even seen a photo of one with a stainless barrel!! I imagine it is quite beautiful, but I would love to see how it has aged.

thanks,
Steve
Sorry, I don't post pictures of my firearms (or anything else for that matter). But, it actually looks like any other blued barrel......it's not "bare" stainless steel, if that's what you're expecting. They used some type of black oxide finish on the old stainless steel barrels back in those days (and Remington wasn't the only one). The only way you can actually tell they're stainless is that there are tiny pin-point areas where the finish has worn, flaked or come off. These wouldn't show up in a photograph. And, other than the lack of a barrel "hump", it looks like any other 721......pretty plain. If they weren't factory installed, someone installed sling swivel studs in the stock, but other than that, it's original. Well, actually I had a gunsmith adjust the trigger pull on it, too. It was something like 6 lbs. when I got it (horrible!!!) and now it's about 2, like the rest of mine. I've now had this 721 for over 20 years. I've shot it some, but not much......and not for quite some time. Shoots pretty good though with its Tasco 3x9.

Den

Newbloomfield

Post by Newbloomfield »

OK, many thanks for all of the information.
Newbloomfield

Post by Newbloomfield »

I have found a nice 721 BDL in .270 caliber, and have found myself wondering how many of these were made, too. I get the impression that the .270 seems to go for a little less than the 30-06 . . . is that right?

thanks in advance
Newbloomfield

Post by Newbloomfield »

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is a 1950 721 .270 BDL. don't expect anyone to put all the numbers up for every year.
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

No numbers for these rifles before 1951.