Nylon 66 stock

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
retiredengine31

Nylon 66 stock

Post by retiredengine31 »

Hello: My question is; is the stock on a Nylon 66 considered a firearm?? I have been told that I would need to register the purchase of one (if I can find one) just as I would the complete rifle. I guess it has to do with the receiver being part of the stock? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chuck
600RemGuy

Re: Nylon 66 stock

Post by 600RemGuy »

Very good question. Here, in Canada, the Nylon stocks are NOT considered firearms, only the serial numbered receiver cover! For over 10 years there was no serial number, so that is a grey area.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

retiredengine31 wrote:Hello: My question is; is the stock on a Nylon 66 considered a firearm?? I have been told that I would need to register the purchase of one (if I can find one) just as I would the complete rifle. I guess it has to do with the receiver being part of the stock? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chuck
I'm unclear as to what parts you have and/or what parts you're looking to purchase. To my mind, if you are just looking to purchase the plastic part, then "no". But, if you're looking to buy the action shroud/cover with the serial number......then "maybe".

I personally have a 1962 vintage Nylon 66 that doesn't have a serial number. When I bought it in 1993, they just noted on the 4473 form that it didn't have a serial number.
I'm not sure what you mean by "registering" it. Is that a local purchase or somewhere else?

Den

ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

I have a Nylon 66 that has a very rusty receiver cover (early model with no serial no).
When I tried to purchase a new one from Remington, I was told that it is considered the receiver,
and a newer one would have to be transferred through an FFL, and recorded just like a complete rifle.
Needless to say I still have the original.
So if the stock doesn't have the cover, it's just a stock, If it has the cover it's a rifle and the transfer
has to be recorded.
retiredengine31

Post by retiredengine31 »

To ChuckD; Thank You. I know I didn't make myself quite clear; but you have hit the nail on the head. All my son needs is the "plastic" (stock). You've helped a great deal. Thanks Again, Chuck :)
tomcash

Post by tomcash »

Yes, the age old question. Technically, by engineering definition, the stock IS in fact the receiver. Remington clearly stated that and if you look at the BATF definition of a gun or receiver, it points to the stock being the gun as well. HOWEVER, in the wisdom of the BATF, they have designated the receiver COVER as the "gun" because it is the serialized part. In reality, if you were to duct tape the ejector to the side you can fire the weapon without the cover.

Locating a stock is very easy...just use Ebay. There is at least one stock on there every week and right now, I believe there are two mohawk brown ones and an Apache black one.