Having trouble figuring out the symbols meanings

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
agatch22

Having trouble figuring out the symbols meanings

Post by agatch22 »

I purchased from an old timer this Remington Gamemaster 760 for $250 w leather case, scope, ammo, cleaning kit, he also after the purchase threw in a single shot 20 guage, and a .22 semi auto rifle. But I'd like to get some history on it if I could. I did find a receipt in the stock dated 1981 for a stock repair, but I'm blind to figuring out the symbols to the reference keys. Any help would be great, thanks guys

Left side: x inside of a circle, BA, 59 slightly above
Remington B7347478 Gamemaster model 760 ®
Right side: REP, what looks like a diagonal Y, and then a double ended arrow
600RemGuy

Re: Having trouble figuring out the symbols meanings

Post by 600RemGuy »

Your rifle was built in Jan. of 1980, that being the final year of production for the 760s. That is the "BA". Ahead of that is the final inspector and the 59 is the assembler. On the right side are the proof and test markings.

Go here for more from this site...
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

Go here for more overall info...
http://www.gun-data.com/remington_mod_model760.htm

What caliber?

Brad
agatch22

Post by agatch22 »

Thanks Brad, it's a 30-06, in very good condition, I tried to load some pics from my phone, but keeps saying file to large. Thanks again - Al
The Gamemaster

Post by The Gamemaster »

Large file size is a common problem with cell phones.
You need to download the picture to your home computer, send it to Paint, reformat it in a smaller size and then send it to this forum - if you want to post pictures. NP with not being able to post pictures, we have probably seen every model of Gamemaster ever made at one time or another.
Nothing special about a 1980 - except it being near the last year of production. Had Dupont not gotten out of the gun making business, we never would have had the plastic fantastic black rifles and shotguns we have today.. I think the RKW High Gloss finish was the nicest rifles ever made, but my opinion is biased.