Remington 30S 375H&H Custom?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Fast996

Remington 30S 375H&H Custom?

Post by Fast996 »

I came across this rifle a Remington 30S Express in 375 caliber and bought it although it will be a few weeks before I have it. The stock on it was painted a dull green and the seller says it is wood. The odd thing is it doesn't look like an original Remington 30 stock as the forend is narrow and up slopes .There are other differences also could this be a custom stock? The rifle holds 5 cartridges in the magazine which seems the gunsmith had to rework the rails and magazine box to rechamber in .375. It looks to be re-blued .
Overall I thought it was worth a chance in getting a stout action that is control feed in a large game cartridge.The rifle says "Model 30S" under the D&T scope mounts and serial number is 2307x which puts it 1935-1936 is that right?The barrel is 26".Cost was reasonable under 4 figures which for a rechamber/Rebarrel was ok in my thinking.
I wanted a shooter/Hunting rifle.Here are some images what do you fellas think of the Remington 30 rifles as a big game action?

oneoldsap

Re: Remington 30S 375H&H Custom?

Post by oneoldsap »

That is one of the , if not the , sturdiest action ever built . It's the only action that could withstand the .358 BOS . (.378 Wetherby necked down to .358) The key to it's strength is it's square barrel and receiver threads !
iskra1

Re: Remington 30S 375H&H Custom?

Post by iskra1 »

I just came upon your post. Certainly not an expert, but it appears to me that the stock isn't factory for the Model 30. I have a couple of late 30 models and the stock doesn't appear as yours.
Yet really, does that make any difference? It looks OK esthetically for a 'custom' rifle. If it fits and you can shoot the rifle well, those would seem to be the important factors. Also, the stock lines and magazine capacity suggest perhaps the 'pot bellied' magazine of the Model 1917 military configuration. Or perhaps it's just old eyes interpreting!
Congratulations on your new 'magnum rifle'!

Just as an aside, my own 375 H&H is in a Sako L61 bolt action with 20" barrel and Mannlicher stock! Perhaps good for bears but also a bear to shoot too and with muzzle-flash capable of starting brush fires out some yards!