Remington model 14 in .30remington

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
gumpy082

Remington model 14 in .30remington

Post by gumpy082 »

couple of questions, have the above rifle a model 14 in .30remington. It has a marble tang sight installed on it. But somebody prior to me put a much newer buckhorn rear sight on it. I would like to get the original sight back on it. From records in was made in 1916. Any thoughts on the type of sight needed and where to obtain? It has two cuts on the barrel for this sight.

Second question is where to find a suitable supply of brass. I put and order in today with lohmanarms but not real sure they are going to ship it.
thx.
ron
Gamemaster32

Re: Remington model 14 in .30remington

Post by Gamemaster32 »

Don't know about the sight...but have gotten brass from:

http://www.qual-cart.com/index.htm
LeftyDon

Post by LeftyDon »

.30 Rem brass has been hard to find during these "shortage" years. I picked up new brass from Huntington a year or two ago and haven't seen new brass in stock anywhere since then. Sometimes you can get lucky and find rounds of .30 Rem 150 or 170 gr loads at LGS's. A couple of small companies seem to supply the market with cartridges made up with Remington brass and Sierra or Hornady RNFP bullets when brass is (was) available from big green.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I still have a few original wheel sights, they are getting very hard to find. I sell them for $130 + $7 shipping. My wheel sights are complete including the tiny "detent" spring which is easily lost and usually missing from these sights.
When I ship them I wrap a band of blue painters tape around the wheel/leaf to make sure the spring stays in place. If it falls out you will have a heck of a time finding it and if you do they are real annoying to re-install. Sorry about the price but I have been getting more than that when I sell them on the auction sites. Please note that the original wheel sight was coupled with a VERY low front sight.

Also note that ALL Model 14's had the "cut" in the barrel to accept a wheel sight but they changed from the 117-1/2 Wheel Sight to the 701-1/2 Long Leaf rear sight around serial 70,000ish and it was coupled with a high front sight. This combination provided a better sight picture, the 701-1/2 came in a gaggle of configurations and was used on several different rifles, the original milled elevator for these sights is usually missing.

If you purchase the wheel sight from me I can probably find you on a one-time basis 20pcs of original Remington unfired brass for $20......ouch and include it in the box with the sight.

Hope this gives you some options, and again sorry about the price but it is getting near impossible to locate some of this stuff.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
nambujim@charlotte.twcbc.com
Jim Peterson