First Remington--12CS -- Trying to understand manufacturer d

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Henry O

First Remington--12CS -- Trying to understand manufacturer d

Post by Henry O »

I was out in California last week where I found a Remington 12CS in an out of the way pawn shop. Pretty good condition overall and the serial number appears to be 21067. Waiting for the shipment to arrive at my local FFL dealer.

Trying to figure out when the rifle might have been made and what the "CS" means as far as the rifle. Appreciate any help that I might receive.

Thank you.
John Gyde

Re: First Remington--12CS -- Trying to understand manufactur

Post by John Gyde »

21,067 would mean 1910. CS would stand for assembly in April 1925. Either there is another number in the serial # or the barrel has been replaced if the CS is the barrel date code.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Henry O wrote:I was out in California last week where I found a Remington 12CS in an out of the way pawn shop. Pretty good condition overall and the serial number appears to be 21067. Waiting for the shipment to arrive at my local FFL dealer.

Trying to figure out when the rifle might have been made and what the "CS" means as far as the rifle. Appreciate any help that I might receive.

Thank you.
Does it have an octagon or round barrel? Pistol or straight grip? Crescent butt or standard?

http://www.remington.com/products/archi ... el-12.aspx

I would interpret "CS" to be that it is the model chambered for the ".22 Remington Special". (as noted in the Remington.com link)

Den

Henry O

Post by Henry O »

Octagon barrel, regular grip, crescent butt.
Henry O

Post by Henry O »

You are correct. The barrel says that it is chambered for the Remington Special.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

The "CS" was part of the model #. It is a Model 12-CS.