Model 121 manufacture date (no barrel code)

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
j_p_monroe

Model 121 manufacture date (no barrel code)

Post by j_p_monroe »

My grandfathers Fieldmaster Model 121A has serial number 40782, but I don't see any markings on the barrel to identify a barrel code. Does anyone know based on serial number an approx build/manufacture date? My uncle refinished the wood and unfortunately "painted" the barrel etc a nice shiny gloss black before I inherited the gun. I'm afraid either the paint/finish is hiding the barrel code or possibly the barrel was replaced before he painted it up.

Thanks for any help!!!
Wulfman

Re: Model 121 manufacture date (no barrel code)

Post by Wulfman »

j_p_monroe wrote:My grandfathers Fieldmaster Model 121A has serial number 40782, but I don't see any markings on the barrel to identify a barrel code. Does anyone know based on serial number an approx build/manufacture date? My uncle refinished the wood and unfortunately "painted" the barrel etc a nice shiny gloss black before I inherited the gun. I'm afraid either the paint/finish is hiding the barrel code or possibly the barrel was replaced before he painted it up.

Thanks for any help!!!
YUCK!!!

The barrel date code should be immediately in front of the receiver on the left side. Maybe you might think about removing some paint in that area.

Probably fairly early though. Mine is SN 1570XX and was made in Apr 1951 with the date code of "C XX"

Den

admin
Site Admin

Re: Model 121 manufacture date (no barrel code)

Post by admin »

Wulfman wrote:.
j_p_monroe wrote:My grandfathers Fieldmaster Model 121A has serial number 40782, but I don't see any markings on the barrel to identify a barrel code. Does anyone know based on serial number an approx build/manufacture date? My uncle refinished the wood and unfortunately "painted" the barrel etc a nice shiny gloss black before I inherited the gun. I'm afraid either the paint/finish is hiding the barrel code or possibly the barrel was replaced before he painted it up.

Thanks for any help!!!
YUCK!!!

The barrel date code should be immediately in front of the receiver on the left side. Maybe you might think about removing some paint in that area.

Probably fairly early though. Mine is SN 1570XX and was made in Apr 1951 with the date code of "C XX"

Den