Remington 30S 30-06

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Fast996

Remington 30S 30-06

Post by Fast996 »

hello,

I have a 30S rifle that I purchased recently And although I would classify it as a custom,I would like to know if it has a original stock or a aftermarket stock. If it is original the stock has a forend tip added and maybe the checkering has been redone,also a pad has been added. The checkering is not the customary wing type,but a fluer de lis...I think.

I find so little info on these I was just curious. The serial # is 268XX and it is marked Model 30-S

Another question did these rifles come with a metal grip cap.

The owner that I purchased it from said that as far as he knew the rifle was original except re-finished....he has had it for 35 years,until I bought it.

Also what do you think this rifle is worth? I see prices from 900 up to asking 2K+ but those look factory to me, I gave 700 for it. Thanks,Roger.

Fast996

Re: Remington 30S 30-06

Post by Fast996 »

I guess my rifle has been re-stocked. It was mentioned on the web that some model 30 rifles had the Col. Whelen style stocks,is this that syle as pictured below?

iskra1

Post by iskra1 »

As you have surmised, I also believe your stock in not original. The photo you’ve just posted does appear to be an original Model 30S reflecting the “improved” later “NRA” stock configuration. I've just had a quick refresher look at my own photo file regarding two of my Models 30 straddling your rifle serial number. One of mine is in 26xxx serial range and the next closest to yours in 28xxx range. The earlier one wears the first generation stock with the schnabel foreend. The latter one, in the so called "NRA" factory style and is marked as a "30S", is much closer in appearance to yours. BOTH utilize a prominent cross bolt just under the receiver ring. (I believe such is also visible in the photo you just posted.) There are also other details which differ between my NRA stocked model and yours that suggest it was not a factory stock customization. However, mere photos and senior eyesight don’t make for a positive conclusion without more. Yet the cross-bolt omission seems conclusive. My 30S does also wear a grip cap of hard rubber or phenolic of some kind and it bears the Remington name.
As to value, a frank answer. Your rifle appears irreparably modified from factory original. It is thus largely without collector value and simply within the ‘nice old shooter’ category. Unfortunately in such category, it joins a sea of such rifles. As with my own nice old shooters, they appeal to me. (Or at least did for some reason at purchase!) But objectively, they generally suffer in the market due. I would suggest your rifle might value around $400 to $500 and that attributing some value to the aperture sight. Of course a supporting hands-on inspection and knowledge of your particular regional market would be required to reduce the variables. In my SoCaSea area where black rifle fever now seems contagious, it would likely be on the lower end of that spectrum. Yet all said, sometimes guns do speak to us and I happily own more than a few in that category.
Enjoy your rifle!
My take.
Fast996

Post by Fast996 »

Thank you for the info. As you say,this rifle is a shooter and it will join my bevy of customs. I will probably have it re-blued. Anyway,another thought,I can't find a replacement stock for these,except for maybe Macon and nowadays any custom stock can run between 500 and up so,that to my way of thinking adds to the price,maybe wrong. These rifles seem to be priced all over the place,some must think they are 720's.