Question: Peculiar 742 rifle found at a gun show.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
imbaroque

Question: Peculiar 742 rifle found at a gun show.

Post by imbaroque »

I found a peculiar rifle at a gun show this weekend. The receiver is marked Model 742 and the s/n was B74xxx.. something. The barrel was stamped AA and the caliber was marked 7mm Express Remington and it was 18½" long, but was NOT marked "742 Carbine" on the barrel. The bolt and barrel both had smaller lugs and grooves like a 742 should/would. The barrel and receiver did NOT appear to be refinished or reblued. The stock as a glossy finish stock with a raised comb like a later model 7400. The sights are the newer style rifle sights with the rear ramp.

I'm guessing this is an assembled rifle with a cut-down barrel. What's throwing me off is the 7mm Exp Rem markings on the AA barrel.

Something seems amiss here, and I can't seem to make things any clearer by reading the 742 article that Gene Myszkowski wrote.

Anybody have any thoughts?
600RemGuy

Re: Question: Peculiar 742 rifle found at a gun show.

Post by 600RemGuy »

742s were made with the 7mm Exp Rem roll mark to the end of production, but don't know the exact date. Sounds to me like the barrel was cut down. Rear stocks are interchangeable. Its likely a pieced together item.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

imbaroque wrote:I found a peculiar rifle at a gun show this weekend. The receiver is marked Model 742 and the s/n was B74xxx.. something. The barrel was stamped AA and the caliber was marked 7mm Express Remington and it was 18½" long, but was NOT marked "742 Carbine" on the barrel. The bolt and barrel both had smaller lugs and grooves like a 742 should/would. The barrel and receiver did NOT appear to be refinished or reblued. The stock as a glossy finish stock with a raised comb like a later model 7400. The sights are the newer style rifle sights with the rear ramp.

I'm guessing this is an assembled rifle with a cut-down barrel. What's throwing me off is the 7mm Exp Rem markings on the AA barrel.

Something seems amiss here, and I can't seem to make things any clearer by reading the 742 article that Gene Myszkowski wrote.

Anybody have any thoughts?
The 7mm Exp Rem chambering isn't inconsistent with that date. A barrel date code of "A A" would be March of 1980. I have a model 700 BDL in 7mm Exp Rem with a January 1980 date code of "B A". The 7mm Exp Rem was their (failed) attempt to reintroduce the .280 Remington in various firearms and only lasted a few years before they gave up. So, it's "somewhat" rare with that stamping. However, the model 740 series had a history of chambering the .280 Rem since the beginning of that model (since about 1958 when the .280 was introduced). So, with the .280 chambering they were common, but the 7mm Exp Rem was a short-lived venture.

I don't know about the rest of it, but at least from the chambering standpoint, it's consistent with that time frame.

Den

imbaroque

Post by imbaroque »

Thanks very much for your replies! You have confirmed my thoughts regarding this rifle. Had the receiver been in a little better shape, I probably would have purchased it just to have it. I already have a legit 742CDL with the game scene in .280 Rem so I didn't really "need" it. But, we all know it's not about the "need"!

Thanks again. Have a wonderful holiday season 2014!