Remington 521 T

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Trapperdon

Remington 521 T

Post by Trapperdon »

:?: I got a 521T from an elderly fellow who had a shotgun that I was interested in. But, when he opened up his gun vault and pulled this rifle out. Not knowing anything other than it was a great looking 22, I made him an offer

After doing a lot of on line research I do not see another with cut checkering. All pictures I have found show a plain stock. Did Remington offer this model with any custom work?
nambujim

Re: Remington 521 T

Post by nambujim »

I'm responding to this because I just spent a couple of hours trying to figure out the difference between a 521T & 521TL. No, Remington never offered this model with a checkered stock but it was a different time/place back then and they might have done it for the owner BUT its far more likely he had it done after market.

Back in the 1940's through the mid 60's anyone that did any small bore target shooting did some custom work to their rifle but I must tell you that checkering was seldom seen. In the mid-50's thumb hole stocks by Fajen & Dunlop were all the rage and were a giant step forward in the evolution of target rifles but they were void of checkering. Anschutz introduced the 1413 SM 54 in 1959 or 60 with a thumb hole stock where the grip area was stippled but not checkered.

Some owner of your rifle along the way thought it would look cool and had it done, back then he would have had no problem finding a "stock guy" that would do the job, do it well, and do it reasonably.

Regards!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
John Gyde

Re: Remington 521 T

Post by John Gyde »

The "M/521TL Junior Special"name was changed to M/521T by 1957. Many small changes were made during the production run including the names "Target Rifle" & "Gov't Special". They are entailed in our book, pages 262-267. The M/521T is my personal favorite Rem bolt action 22. I shot the best group I have ever shot with one. I'm not a great shot so that might not mean much......